The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Extremely worried.. Should I tell my parents?

Sep 2, 2007

Hi Dr. Bob,

I made the most stupid mistake of my life the moment i went into the massage parlor in Shanghai. I had vaginal sex with a prostitute during which the condom slipped off. It's been 10 days since the exposure. I had severe pain in my left groin 3 days after the exposure and now I am developing rashes on my body. I am so scared that I had contracted aids. I read articles saying the number of new HIV patients in Shanghai has increases significantly and that 65% of them were caused by unsafe sex. I haven't slept in a week. My parents are asking me why I can't sleep. But I am too afraid to tell them!!! What should I do???

Response from Dr. Frascino


"Symptoms" three days after a potential exposure would not be related to HIV primary infections, as symptoms of acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) take weeks, not hours or days, to manifest themselves.

As for telling your parents, that's up to you. I have no way of knowing how old, independent, mature or sexually experienced you are. Because you had a condom failure (improperly used), you'll need to be screened for HIV (and possibly other STDs as well). Wait at least until the three-month mark for your HIV test to assure the test is definitive and conclusive.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

symptoms = disease
I hope your read this one

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint