Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Going insane! Please Please help
Aug 27, 2007

Please let me know what you what my risk of contracting HIV is likely to be. Please also give me information on how to make a donation to your efforts.

I received about 30 min of unprotected oral sex from a female massage therapist followed by protected vaginal sex, however somewhere near the last minute or two of sex the condom fell off. I rushed right to the shower to wash off. Since this time (about 9 days ago) I have had many sypmtoms; very stiff neck, sore muscles, sore joints, the soles of my feet hurt on and off, a nearly constant head ache, and fatique. Seven days after I went back to talk to this gal and she said that her last test wa about a year and a half ago and that it was negative. However that seems like a very long time to go without testing in her line of business. She also mentioned that she was now on her period. This freaks me out because, I suspect that if our incounter was effected by the begging of her period I could have been exposed to very highlevels of the virus if she was indeed positive.

I know that a antibody test after 3 months is necessary, how ever I am absolutely going Bonkers. The CDC web site say that Viral load testing shows the virus in 9-11 days. If I don't get some kind of indication soon I may lose my mind. Please let me know your thoughts on my predicament. Thank you for your kindness.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Going Bonkers,

"Please let me know what you what my risk of contracting HIV is likely to be????" What I what your risk???? What??? Also, ". . . I suspect that if our incounter was effected by the begging of her period . . . ." What??? "Incounter?" "Effected?" "Begging of her period???" Hmmm . . . were you and Dubya study partners in remedial English classes?

OK, here's the scoop. Your HIV risk is low, but not completely nonexistent. Insertive oral sex carries a very minimal risk for HIV transmission. Condom failure carries the same risk as unprotected sex. The estimated per-act risk for HIV acquisition from unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 10 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, as we don't know the HIV status of your hooker I mean massage technician and your exposure was brief at best. Your symptoms are not worrisome for or suggestive of HIV ARS (acute retroviral syndrome).

Despite your anxiety level, the best HIV screening test remains an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. PCR (viral load) tests are not recommended for routine HIV screening, due to the rate of false-positives, other technical concerns and cost.

Rather than go insane, I'd suggest you use the time during your window period to review the information in the archives of this forum. I'm quite sure you'll find both the information and the many testimonials enlightening and extremely encouraging, OK?

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
blood in my mouth?
Next
fear of testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.