Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Your forum is rated 18 (WHEN TO START) (EARLIER INITIATION OF TREATMENT)
Aug 27, 2007

and contains scenes of and contains scenes of nudity, sex and strong language! (compared to other forums that is) ;)

Check out this new research doc. Bob. In your view is this an additional reason for early treatment (CD4 360) while asymptomatic?

here is the link: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg19526174.400&feedId=online-news_rss20

cheer, your regular customer

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Yes, I agree this forum does indeed slide into the "R" or even "NC-17" rating at times, but then again, it is a STD/HIV/AIDS/Sex Information Web site. So if Sister Missionary-Position-With-The-Lights-Off is offended, she has many other sites where she can learn the "facts" about sex . . . stuff like virgin births, birds and bees, storks bringing babies, the wonderful "success" of abstinence-only sex education, etc. . . . As for this forum, I prefer to keep it real.

The information you reference (copied below) is indeed new and intriguing. Could it lend additional weight to the current push for earlier initiation of treatment? Yes, I suppose it could; although I feel there are many much stronger arguments. For instance, there are three large cohort studies that have found associations between lower CD4 cell counts and a variety of different adverse outcomes. In the SMART study, lower CD4 cell counts were found to be associated with an increased risk for cardiovascular disease. In the HOPS study, more resistance mutations were noted to occur with lower CD4 cell counts. In the CASCADE study, there was a correlation between risk of death and lower CD4s. So far the treatment guidelines for "when to start" haven't been formally revised, but I'll bet they will be very soon. At the Frascino Medical Group, we have been recommending initiation of HAART at 350 for quite some time and will probably consider even earlier intervention, especially as the newer less toxic, more effective and more convenient HIV medications continue to become available.

Dr. Bob

HIV stops new brain cells from growing 17 August 2007 NewScientist.com news service

HIV doesn't just destroy the immune system, it may also stop new brain cells from growing. For some time we've known that HIV can cause a form of dementia, but this had been attributed to the loss of mature brain cells, killed off by an HIV protein called gp120. Now Stuart Lipton and his colleagues at the Burnham Institute for Medical Research in San Diego, California, have found that gp120 also slows down the division of adult stem cells called neural progenitor cells (aNPCs), thought to be important for memory and learning. When rat aNPCs were exposed to gp120, 15 per cent of them stopped dividing. By identifying and blocking the enzymes gp120 affects, Lipton's team was able to restart normal cell division in cultured aNPCs. They hope a similar approach might provide therapies for AIDS-related dementia (Cell Stem Cell, DOI 10.1016/j.stem.2007.07.010).

Previous
Yellowing Eyes with PEP
Next
blood in my mouth?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.