6 months 'window period' if HIV exposure confirmed??

Dear doctor Bob

Firstly thank you for doing a fantastic job for so many people in difficult situations, (incl my own BF) - truely remarkable and the humour and wit amazing... :-)

My wonderful BF was diagnozed positive middle of April, and we have had unprotected oral/anal for about one year prior to that.

I immidiately used a home-test kit which was neg, but was aware this not conclusive as was aware of the 3 month period, but this obviusly still gaev an indikation for the - very, very frequent 'exposure episodes' just after I met my BF.... :-)

Had another home test done middle of may, and finnally a blood screening done about 14 weeks after last exposure (insertive anal).

However, judging from other replies of yours, it seems you also recommend a test6 month after exposure, PROVIDED that HIV exposure is confirmed (ie confirmed your partner was HIV) - is that understood correctly??

USD 1000 donated already, and more will be coming.

Finally, fully agree with you as to Bush when it comes to lack of sex education, gay rights, abortion etc etc, but personally DO think the world is a better place without Saddam Hussein, and a bit too easy to apply hundsight about the war.... ;-)

All the best Doc/casper

Hi Casper,

Yes, if your three-month HIV-antibody test is negative, the current testing guidelines recommend a repeat HIV-antibody test at the six-month mark for folks who had a significant confirmed HIV exposure (such as your "very, very frequent exposure episodes" with your Mr. Wonderful). However, I should point out that your negative test at 14 weeks is extremely, extremely encouraging and your chances of dodging the HIV bullet are at this point excellent!

Thanks for your generous gift to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. If you haven't already, you should soon receive a formal acknowledgement of your donation along with a thank-you gift as a token of my heartfelt appreciation for your generosity and compassion for those in need.

Finally, I absolutely agree with you about Saddam! In fact, I doubt you'll find anyone who disagrees! My comments about Bush refer to his disastrous prosecution of the war after the fall of Saddam. He has demonstrated not only poor judgment, but blatant incompetence in his handling of Iraq, the Katrina catastrophe, the environment, health care and a host of other critical issues. The world is indeed a better place without Saddam and it will be a better place still when Bush is run out of office with his tail between his legs!

Sex with prostitute
Rising T-cells, why start treatment?