AM I A FRUIT FLY - RAPID HIV TEST

Hi Doc,

I made a mistake in my prior message between the Western blot and a rapid HIV test. Sorry for the confusion.

I recently had a rabid HIV test done (3 months after my last encounter) and I tested -ve. It was the first time I ever had a rabid HIV test.

What baffled me was that my test results were ready in 20 seconds.

I was told that I would have to wait at least 5-10 minutes when I called the clinic prior to my appointment.

The worker who gave my test was so confident I was -ve (my only sexual encounters were 3 protected receptive oral sex acts and one non-protected receptive oral sex act) that it seemed like he thought I was wasting his time. When I inquired about the time it took for a secure result to show up he told me that the 5-10 minute wait I was told about was in case there were a lot of patients who were getting tested and there was a back log of tests. Then he shooed me out of the room like a fruit fly!

So, my question is, how long does it take for a rabid HIV test to show a solid result?

I may be acting like a fruit fly by hovering over this topic for no reason but I just wanted to ask!

Thank you!

A "rabid" HIV test???

Results in 20 seconds??? Hmmm . . . . I agree your HIV risk is extremely minimal, but results in 20 seconds sounds baffling to me as well. Depending on the type of test, FDA-approved rapid tests can take from five minutes (Reveal G2) to 20 minutes (OraQuick). You should check with the testing center regarding the type of HIV test they use and the time needed to process the result.

why???
Oral with HIV+ & Anal with HIV- Partner