Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confused or Real Confused?
Aug 23, 2007

Hey there you awesome Doctor,

Just a little confused. I have read posts on this website about people's viral load being "undetectable."Does this mean that if someone tests negative with an Elisa at 12 months they can actually be positive? I guess what I mean to ask is if someone has an "undetectable" viral load, then would they not have developed sufficient antibodies to test positive on an Elisa test? Hopefully you could clear this up for me so that I can truly trust my negative Elisa and move on. I know that they are totally different tests, but I just want to rule out any circumstance in which my 12 month Elisa would be false negative. Thank you so much for all that you do and DOWN WITH BUSH!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

An ELISA tests for circulating anti-HIV antibodies in the blood. These are proteins formed by the body's immune system in response to HIV infection.

HIV plasma viral load is a measure of the HIV viral particle itself.

Not only are these two very distinct tests measuring two very different things, but the two tests are not related in the way your question suggests. "Undetectable" plasma viral load would not change the results of an HIV ELISA test. Your negative 12-month ELISA is definitive. Stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing.

Dr. Bob

Previous
5th time no answer pls help
Next
A Question about test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.