Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confidential (Will Donate)
Aug 23, 2007

Firstly your site is great and the work you put into it is tremendous to help people. My problem, i will try to be brief. Had unprotected Vaginal sex in February with HIV status unknown, 36 hours later had very bad rash and swelling of the foreskin area, very itchy, blisters etc, tested pos follwing week for Gonorrhea was treated, symptoms went to a certain degree, 3-4 months later symptoms came back but worse, sickness, diaherrea, swollen neck nodes, cough, still to date,feel sick constantly everyday in fact, numbness in hands, body itching all over, went to another doc he said it was the same thing although there was no swab or urine test only visual and he treated me again for gon and chlymidia, blisters got worse and pain was pretty bad for a good few weeks, in between my partner was told she had, PID, cervistitis, no other STD but was also anemic retested and dropped again after B12 injections and iron tablets was 12.9 then 12.4 3 months later., I tested negative for HIV at 13.5weeks, my partner also tested negative but would have been less time from exposure, I will get a 6 month test done very soon, whats your thoughts and expertise on this situation, hope you can answer i know you are a very busy man. Let me know where to send donation to it will be on its way although i believe its a lottery win we should be sending you, over the last few months i have educated myself a lot regarding HIV thanks to this site, one lesson for sure i wont be doing it again Take Care thanks Phil.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Phil,

Without more detailed information, it's difficult to provide very specific advice.

The facts are you had unprotected sex and developed gonorrhea. I don't know what you were treated with or whether other STDs (chlamydia) were also covered in the treatment you received. In other words, I have no way of knowing if your treatment for this confirmed STD was adequate. In addition, we had no laboratory diagnostic tests to ascertain the real etiology of your symptoms "3-4 months later." It's possible this was totally unrelated to your initial STD.

What we can determine is that HIV is not the cause. Your negative test at three months is considered to be definitive. I remain confident if you get a six-month test, it will corroborate your negative HIV status.

Should your "symptoms" persist or recur, I'd suggest you see an infectious diseases doctor for a more thorough evaluation.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. The foundation's address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024

Be well, Phil.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Risky Workout
Next
5th time no answer pls help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.