Pep treatment 16 weeks ago and currnenty testing negative, but.....

I am going to lay it all on the line and tell you everything doc. In late march I had sex with a female prostitute. I did not use protection while she gave me oral, but I did use protection during vaginal intercourse. Now what has me scared was the fact that I also have HPV and happened to have a wart that looks like a mole at the base of my penis where the condom does not cover during the time with the prostitute. It was not bleeding or anything, but I have read that contraction of the virus could be accomplished through a wart. In essence, I was freaked and I immediately started Pep treatment. I started with efevirenz and combivir, but continued with just the combivir because the combo was just to much for me to handle, plus based on advise from the pep hotline I was told combivir was just enough. So I took it for a month minus the third or second day because I got so sick. I just recently had an oral (saliva) 20 min test (16 weeks after the end of the Pep treatment) and the result was negative. Is this a valid outcome or does it take longer for those who started Pep and failed to test positive. I know you have a lot of questions to answer, but if you answer this it would be the first out of many I have submitted to be answered. Please help. Thanks Always Paranoid

Hello Always Paranoid,

Whether PEP was required for a potential exposure, such as the one you describe, remains open to debate.

Assuming PEP was warranted for a significant HIV exposure, I would recommend you follow the post-PEP testing guidelines, which I have discussed many times in this forum. (Check the archives!) These would recommend testing at both three and six months after exposure.

Scared to get tested
Sex with a virgin or child cures AIDS