Probability of Being Positive

Hello, First I would like to thank you forthis site. I am a gay 35 yo male. A afew nights ago I had unprotected sex with another man in which I was the insertive partner. I am circumsized. A few hours afterwards, I learned that he was most likely positive. I did some research and learned of the PEP drugs. I started them about 20 hours later. I spoke with him the next day upon his return from his docotor's appt and he confirmed that he was positive. I inquired about his viral load and he informed me that it was low. HOW AT RISK AM I? Please reply soon, I am loosing it.

The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive anal sex with a poz partner is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, as you began PEP 20 hours after the exposure.

At this point you are doing everything you can and should be doing. My advice is to stay calm, get tested per the recommended guidelines (three months after the exposure and, if that's negative, again at six months) and learn from your mistake so that you'll never have to go through this again.

RE:Dr bob a student from India - Please Respond - Going for my course to Australia This Novemeber!!!
An interesting New York times article!