LIKELIHOOD OF TESTING +VE

Doc,

I recently had unprotected anal sex with a guy, whom I found out to be +ve the following day.

1. What is the probability of me getting infected with HIV ? Is there still a slim chance of not being affected by him ?

2. Should i opt to test at the 6 weeks interval or wait till 3 months for confirmation.

This waiting period is causing me with lots of anxiety and worries. Please advice.

1. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive and receptive anal sex with a poz partner is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures and 50 per 10,000 exposures respectively.

2. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

Finally, I should mention that since you found out you had a significant HIV exposure within 24 hours, PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) would have been an option for you. However, to be effective, that should be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after an exposure.

Good luck. Remember, a simple piece of thin latex used properly in the future will prevent you from having to endure this anxiety-laden experience ever again!

2nd try - am still worried
What are our safe limits?