|LIKELIHOOD OF TESTING +VE
Aug 20, 2007
I recently had unprotected anal sex with a guy, whom I found out to be +ve the following day.
1. What is the probability of me getting infected with HIV ? Is there still a slim chance of not being affected by him ?
2. Should i opt to test at the 6 weeks interval or wait till 3 months for confirmation.
This waiting period is causing me with lots of anxiety and worries. Please advice.
| Response from Dr. Frascino
1. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive and receptive anal sex with a poz partner is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures and 50 per 10,000 exposures respectively.
2. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.
Finally, I should mention that since you found out you had a significant HIV exposure within 24 hours, PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) would have been an option for you. However, to be effective, that should be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after an exposure.
Good luck. Remember, a simple piece of thin latex used properly in the future will prevent you from having to endure this anxiety-laden experience ever again!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Odds Of Contracting HIV Touching An Open Scab
- Anal Warts After Kissing Cold Sore Worried I Have HIV
- Black Spots After Anal Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Black Spots After Bj Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Red Spots After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Dry Cough After Condom Leak Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.