Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

2nd try - am still worried
Aug 20, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob, first and foremost, thanks for the excellent work you are doing here! Donation is on the way to support you in your efforts. I have recently tried to ask you this question, but you might have thought that it is not worth answering as I am one of the thousands worried wells. Hopefully you are right. However time has passed by and my worries have increased. Please answer this time! So, I try again and also want to be a bit more specific. That's why it is getting a bit longer today. Actually you already helped me some time ago. I read through the archives again and got lots of relief. But concerns remain in my brain. Here is what happened: I drank a lot and then it happened: I had a short encounter with a person of unknown status in Japan. We did kissing (concern, because one of my tooth is bleeding easily, but not constantly), some fingering and he licked around my anus. That was it. No penetrative sex. The risk is low, right? The symptoms and anxiety started soon after that. As it was a dejayu. I went through such an episode a while ago (at that time a condom slipped off) and suffered a lot. Basically the symptoms were sore throat, feverish feeling and lots of muscle ache. I was deeply depressed and disappointed about myself as I had again an episode, but on the other hand love my wife so much. After around 5 1/2 week I got a sudden diarrhea in the morning and developed a high feyer (39.6 degree). At night I took 2 paracetamol and the fever was gone the next day. However that night I had an intense nightsweat. The diarrhea was only one time and the nightsweat disappeared the next night as well. The next day I went to my doctor who performed a PCR and Antibody/Antigen test, both came back negative. I repeated the antibody/antigen test at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 14.5 (together with another PCR) and in the meantime also at 18 weeks. All negative. But my anxiety remains, it is even growing. Because I still have a lot of symptoms that worries me and the depression is getting worse. I have a very dry skin, muscle and joint aches (in fact red ellbows and knees). Headache and cannot concentrate at all. It is getting more and more difficult at work and at home as well. The whole family is suffereing. And above all I got a result from a stool test that shows candida albicans, however at a low level (weak positive), but some. This fungal infection drives me crazy. I also see white spots and coating on my tongue. The spots are at the end of the tongue close to the throat. I also have a bitter taste in my mouth. So I started to take Nystatin. The white spots remain. Especially in the morning the tongue looks scaring. My dentist said it is normal coating, not to worry. Maybe I made a mistake to go to the doctors too many times. I also see a psychiatrist to support me. My questions to you: Is that one day high fever indicative for ARS? Is the testing sufficient? Is candida albicans in the intestine suggestive for HIV (relatively short after exposure)? Can one develop oral thrush in such a short timeframe after exposure? I really want to go back to life, but now thinking about late seroconversion, although my immune system is not suppressed or anything else. Or maybe have a strain that tests in Europe dont discover. On the contrary my last blood screen (about 3 weeks ago) was very favourable as well with good immune status and my doctor released me as being a physically healthy person and strongly recommended me to tackle the mental part. Please let me know your opinion whether I should re-test at the sex months mark with my specific situation. Your advise is highly appreciated. I promise not to ask this question in a third version.

Thank you very much!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your questions may be getting longer and more detailed; however, I can assure you my responses are not.

You are HIV negative.

Exactly what part of the following statements are you having difficulty understanding?

1. You are HIV negative.

2. Stop testing. You've had way too many HIV tests already.

3. Dentist said normal coating, not to worry.

4. Doctor released me as being a physically healthy person and strongly recommended that I tackle the mental part.

Finally regarding your specific question: Should you re-test at the "sex" month??? Hmmm. Sex month???? Well, whenever that happens to be the short answer is no! The longer answer is nope!

Dr. Bob

Previous
unprotected vaginal sex
Next
LIKELIHOOD OF TESTING +VE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.