Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

PLEASE HELP US!!!

I hope you can answer our question as this is something that has been bothering us for sometime. A girlfriend and I had a threesome with another female and we are very concerned that we may have contracted HIV. There was no intercourse involved. It was strictly oral sex. Both she and I performed oral sex on the other female. Why we are worried is that about 35 ot 36 days(about 5weeks) later my girlfriend and I both had a cold. The symptoms of this cold were mostly congestion, fever(max of 99.6F)phlem in the throat(she had a sore throat for 1 1/2 days and I had no throat pain. We both had a cough which lasted about a week longer than the other symptoms. Except for the cough all symptoms had resolved within a period of 5 days and the cough ended about 7 or 8 days later. My question is in your opinon does this sound like something we should be worried about. If this turns out ok we are never doing this again it was a bad idea and we are just very scared. We dont want to die off in 10 or 12years. This is our only risky activity ever and we dont plan on doing it again. My question is 1) Is it realisticly possible she or I could contract HIV from perfoming oral sex on another female? 2)Does the time frame of the symptoms and the type of symptoms I have told you about sound realisticly to perhaps be Primary HIV infection? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

To answer your first question, oral sex is generally considered a low-risk activity. A person is less likely to get HIV infected by performing oral sex on someone than having unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse. In addition, the evidence seems to show that oral sex performed on a woman is even more unlikely to transmit HIV than performing oral sex on a man. This discrepancy can probably be explained by the low levels of HIV found in vaginal secretions as compared to higher HIV levels in semen. The risk of performing oral sex increases when there is the presence of blood (for example, during menstruation).

The fact that you and your partner had a cold at the same time is not unusual, nor does it signify that you were experiencing acute retroviral syndrome. A cold is a cold. It seems unlikely that both of you would have contracted HIV in the incident you describe and both exhibit ARS symptoms at the same exact time. If you are still concerned that your symptoms reflect HIV infection, you should get tested three months after your exposure.

RMK

Help, very concerned
Testing