probability of infection...very depressed

Hello Doctor,

I desperately need you to answer this question for me. I'm very stressed out and I haven't slept well for a couple of weeks now. I'm a 23 year old male living in Canada. I had unprotected sex twice with an escort on the night of Aug 2nd. I feel like an idiot for doing that, but I got carried away at that moment. This was the first time I had unsafe sex with anyone. Now, I feel like I might be infected with HIV. I'm not sure if she was HIV positive, but I can not stop thinking the worst. I don't have any symptoms associated with HIV but I do sweat a little at night. Also, my shoulder blade and joint hurts a bit. Please tell me what to do. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I have not been circumsized. What are the chances of me getting infected with HIV because of this partiular encounter ? Should I stop worrying about it. I have been reading about HIV on the internet for a few days now and its driving me insane. There is no one I can talk to about this. Its very embarrasing. Please help. P.S. How can I make a donation here ?

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently HIV testing is warranted. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV form insertive unprotected penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, as we do not know the status of your Naughty Lady from Shady Lane. I would recommend you get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months from the time of exposure are not felt to be definitive or conclusive. Peruse the information in the archives of this forum and on its related links. You should find the information and the testimonials to be both enlightening and encouraging.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thank you for your willingness to help others in desperate need. In return I'm sending you my best cosmic karma that your three-month definitive HIV test is negative.

In the Worry Well
Question about Rimming