Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ORAL HPV?
Aug 17, 2007

I have had Oral HPV for 6 years now, and what I hear in your "answers" to people about the dangers of transmission seems to be largely OPINION & not FACT! Having lived with it along with HIV/Aids (22 years) I have sought out the opinions & facts of many so called experts in the Dermatology field. Now what I have found to be true more often than not, is that it is a very gray area, which for the most part seems to be filled with opinions base on extreme homophobia! The facts suggest something very different! That there are two populations of people other than men with highly advanced HIV infection. The first are people who have received organ transplants and the problem is cured by backing off on immuno/suppressing drugs! The second group are children who are undergoing Chemo/Radiation therapy for Kidney or Liver Cancer. Now these varieties tend not to cross-match with any known subtypes known to cause Genital HPV, which also happens to be true with me! Oral HPV is rare in people with HIV, and usually depends on two other factors! CD4 Counts below 300 & a Sjogrins'/like Condition(Cysts in the Saliva Glands or ducts) which actually block the production of & flow of normal Saliva! Saliva actually contains things which suppress infections such as HPV!

If I had the credentials I could publish on this subject, but since I don't all I can really do is try to educate others in my same situation!

So Please stop publishing this nonsense, which really just validates the Ideologies of Shame & Blame!

Peace, Gary O Minneapolis

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Gary O,

Calm down. You're using way too many exclamation points.

First off, since I'm gay, I really don't accept that my "opinions" reflect "extreme homophobia." Much of the information you report is accurate, but not all. I do agree it is unknown exactly how easy it is to transmit the genital wart virus through oral sex. However, it is indeed possible to do so. That is the question that is often asked of me. Is it "possible?" And the answer is yes, it is. Genital warts (HPV), although usually seen on the penis or anus, can indeed occur in or around the mouth. I absolutely agree with you: this would be much more likely to occur in people with profound immunodeficiency (advanced HIV/AIDS, immunosuppressive drug therapy, chemo/radiation therapy, etc.). Compared to many other types of HPV, I agree "oral HPV is rare" in HIV disease. Rare, but possible, OK?

I do take objection to your description of my comments as being "nonsense" or "validating ideologies of shame and blame." Credentials and experience really do count and that's a fact, not an opinion!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Showing Some thug love "Speech 101"
Next
DR. BOB whats up with the CD4 and DR. conway

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.