3-month mark HIV test??

Hi Dr. Bob,

First off, Id like to extend my sincerest thanks for having a great resource like this with truly helpful information. Ive had a chance to read through the archives and noted that you often recommend an HIV test at 3 months post possible exposure to HIV. I had unprotected sex with a partner of unknown status about 5 weeks ago and am anxiously waiting to get HIV tested at the 3-month mark. I have gone through other extensive tests for possible STDs, all, which came up negative, so far. Once I test at 3-months and get my results, is that really it? Is more testing required? Three months seems like an eternity & six would seem like eternity squared. I want to do the right thing? Do you think I should really do a 3, 6, & 12-month test, just to be on the safe side? Once again, thank you for your time patience, and understanding.

Sincerely,

Impatient

Hello Impatient,

For routine potential HIV exposures I would consider a negative test at three months to be definitive. The option to test beyond three months is always open to you; however, I rarely find it warranted. Peruse the information in the archives of this forum. You should find it both enlightening and reassuring.

Good luck!

What is the probability of acquiring HIV through sex with an infected woman?
Response to "boyfriend didnt tell me he was POS"