Can I start whoo-hooooing?!?! Negative at 8 weeks after fingering but still with swollen lymph nodes!!! Please answer Donation on the way for you fantastic work!!!

Hi Doc. I could not wait until the three months so I went to get tested at 8 weeks post exposure and I was negative.

To cut a long story short I kissed, fingered (very shortly) and had unprotected insertive oral sex (10 sec. or so) with a girl whose HIV status is unknown to me. Two weeks after I have developed a very sure throat, with enlarged tonsils end lymph nodes, two or three episodes of night sweating and some mild intermittent fever (basically all possible symptoms of ARS). The sore throat disappeared after about three weeks. I am now (after 6 weeks form the beginning of the symptoms) left with persistent swollen lymph nodes especially on my left side and two day ago I have started experiencing some peripheral neuropathy (or something like that). Given my symptoms I was convinced that I was infected and that I would test positive by now (at 8 weeks post exposure), but the test was negative!!!

Now, I have decided to be optimistic and tend to think that I am not infected. This is my reasoning: my risk was low, but I got symptoms consistent with ARS. However, if my symptoms were truly related to ARS and they started 6 weeks ago (2 weeks after potential exposure) I should have seroconverted by now and test positive. Given my history can I start WHOO-HOOOOING?!?! You can reply me even very briefly by just say: Yes No you were paranoid since the beginning I told you etc. (you have very funny answers that make me laugh all the time even when you tackle very serious issues I wish that all doctors could be like you).

You are really great and I admire all your work. A donation is on the way. I just have to wait until the end of the month. I am not a very rich fellow and I do not want to make a donation that is ridiculously small.

Keep it up with your excellent work. I will remain an admirer and I will donate even if you dont have time to reply!!!

Still a bit scared though I would appreciate an answer (if possible)!!!

I absolutely agree: your HIV risk is extremely low; however, I can't certify your WOO-HOO just yet. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be conclusive. So you'll need to repeat that at three months for a definitive WOO-HOO. But I will say you can be quite confident practicing for that WOO-HOO now, because your negative test at eight weeks is extremely encouraging, especially when coupled with such a minimal risk!

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. I'm confident your WOO-HOO is on its way!

I lost everything? Part 3
finger on anus