Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

If I was your patient?
Aug 16, 2007

Hi Doc,

Hopefully this will bethe last time I ever ask this question, but if I was to walk in to your office and said, "Dr. Rob, I had a potential exposure 15 months ago, and tested non reactive at 12 months and 15 months with an EIA and Elisa test. Is the antibody test accurate enough to pick up the infection by now? Should I do a PCR test? I read that antibody tests are not reliable from a book published in 2005 regarding "Diseases", what should I do?" The truth is I go on this website everyday for about 3 hours just reading your response to others and I wake up everyday replaying the line that I read about it's unreliability and keep wanting to test. Can I truly move on with my life? Am I HIV negative? Thanks Doc.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

If you came into my office with that story, I'd have you WOO-HOOing like a banshee in heat after your very first sentence: "Dr. Rob, I had a potential exposure 15 months ago, and tested nonreactive at 12 months and 15 months with EIA and ELISA test." The rest of the story doesn't matter. That statement is sufficient for a Dr. Bob-certified WOO-HOO!

But to answer your remaining concerns:

1. Yes, the EIA/ELISA is indeed sensitive enough.

2. PCR is not warranted or recommended for routine HIV screening, no matter what you read in "Diseases."

3. Can you truly move on with your life? Well, you certainly should. However "can" you? Only you can answer that question!

4. Are you HIV negative? Absofrickinlutely!

Dr. Bob

Previous
a sailors request for good karma. Pls oblige
Next
Paranoid (and repentant) Republican redux

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.