Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Personal Jesus
Aug 14, 2007

Dr. Bob- I have written you many times before I know you are a busy man but I need this broad question answered. My OCD is so out of control I am afraid to leave my house again and do any of the activities I used to love I make strides but now Im falling again. All my tests Ive had for HIV have been negitive, Im in a monogamous relationship, no drugs but every where I go I see HIV. I recently worked at a hardware store, I had to quit the job because I think that touching screw other people have touched might put me at risk, Im so afraid im gonna get it from a third party object like a screw, pin, or staple. Please Dr Bob tell me if these thoughts are irrational, I just want to be happy in life again and quit bringing the people I love down around me. I read all your answers and you always bring a smile to my face, I think what you do is amazing, I wish you the best, please tell me if these are irrational its hard with someone with OCD to distinguish what is and what is not rational. -Ricky

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Ricky,

Generally speaking, when people in this forum want me to address their broad question, it turns out to be about a wayward "broad!"

Ricky, there is no doubt you can contract HIV/AIDS from a "screw," but not the kind you are talking about finding at Home Depot! Your fears are indeed completely irrational and unwarranted. Ricky, think it through. If HIV were that easy to contract, would any of us still be alive 26 years into this pandemic? HIV is an STD (sexually transmitted disease), not a CTD (casually transmitted disease)! That means it's transmitted by screwing around not touching a screw!

Ricky, I encourage you to seek the help of a psychiatrist. If you are seeing HIV everywhere when you go out, you are either only going to sex clubs or your OCD is way OOC (out of control). This is not a problem you are going to be able to control without professional help, so I urge you to get the help you need without further delay.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Very freaked out rape victim and new mom
Next
HPV Vaccine for Men (HPV) (GARDASIL FOR MEN)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.