The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very freaked out rape victim and new mom

Aug 14, 2007

Hi, I was raped 6 months before getting pregnant with my husband and my 1st child. I was given an HIV test as part of my bloodwork and it came back negative. I was still paranoid so my husband went to get one and his 1st test came back indeterminate because the people at public health said their truck broke and the blood arrived unrefrigerated. His second test, an oral one came back negative. My question is this: Are these tests adequate or do you think we should get more done and have our baby tested? He is 3 months old. Thank you very much!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi New Mom,

Your worries are completely unwarranted. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. I see no medical justification for additional HIV testing. However, if indeed you remain "very freaked out" and continue to perseverate on the possibility of being HIV positive, get a rapid HIV test. The results will undoubtedly be negative, but this may be the most effective and efficient way for you to put your irrational fears of being HIV positive permanently to rest. If, for whatever reason, my reassurance and a negative rapid test do not completely calm your fears, psychological counseling would be the next step in helping you believe and accept the wonderful news that you are definitively HIV negative.

Dr. Bob

Thanks from mini Dr Bob
Personal Jesus

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint