Very freaked out rape victim and new mom

Hi, I was raped 6 months before getting pregnant with my husband and my 1st child. I was given an HIV test as part of my bloodwork and it came back negative. I was still paranoid so my husband went to get one and his 1st test came back indeterminate because the people at public health said their truck broke and the blood arrived unrefrigerated. His second test, an oral one came back negative. My question is this: Are these tests adequate or do you think we should get more done and have our baby tested? He is 3 months old. Thank you very much!

Hi New Mom,

Your worries are completely unwarranted. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. I see no medical justification for additional HIV testing. However, if indeed you remain "very freaked out" and continue to perseverate on the possibility of being HIV positive, get a rapid HIV test. The results will undoubtedly be negative, but this may be the most effective and efficient way for you to put your irrational fears of being HIV positive permanently to rest. If, for whatever reason, my reassurance and a negative rapid test do not completely calm your fears, psychological counseling would be the next step in helping you believe and accept the wonderful news that you are definitively HIV negative.

Thanks from mini Dr Bob
Personal Jesus