Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Symptoms at 2 months - HIV possible?
Aug 13, 2007

Hey Dr. Bob, First, let me say your story is a true inspiration to the many readers and contributors of this forum. It is proof that life does not end with the unfortunate contraction of HIV. Second, I was quite impressed with the fact you are a musician and you've continued that passion in your life.

I've read many of the archives and much of the information on this website as well as others. Yet, like so many of the readers and contributors to the forum my anxiety seems to get the best of me and your reassurance is greatly appreciated.

1. Is it common or possible to develop symptoms approx 7 - 8 weeks after a possible exposure? I know the odds are in my favor for receptive and insertive oral sex only, but have you ever heard of or witnessed a case where this had happened?

2. How often do patients experience little or no symptoms like many of the other websites on the net claim to be true?

3. How many of the symptoms typically attributed with an HIV infection can be caused by an overload of anxiety?

Thank you for your time. It is quite valuable to the readers of this forum. I will keep you in my prayers and will start donating to your terrific foundation. I send you with my good luck karma and hope your life continues to be fulfilling!

God Bless

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I absolutely agree your anxiety is indeed getting the best of you.

1. Common? No. ARS symptoms generally manifest themselves at two to three weeks following primary infection with HIV. Possible? Hell, almost anything is possible. We even elected an incompetent, bumbling, illiterate rodeo clown for a second term in the White House! As far as what I have heard of or witnessed, this really doesn't apply to your specific situation. If I say I haven't witnessed this phenomenon, it doesn't mean it never happened. And if I were to say I have seen it, it doesn't mean it will happen to you. So I'll leave that question unanswered.

2. Again, I cannot give your specific statistics, because those statistics don't exist. Remember, 25% of the over one million HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they are even infected. Did they not experience any symptoms of HIV ARS (acute retroviral syndrome) following their primary infection? No one knows for certain. However, what we know for a fact is that the symptoms associated with ARS are very common and often attributed to some other transient ailment, such as a "cold" or "the flu." The severity of ARS symptoms can run the gamut from extremely mild to incapacitatingly severe.

3. The vast majority!

Thanks for your kind comments, your good karma and your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). I'm sending mine to you as well. Remember, your HIV risk from oral sex remains very low, even if your anxiety levels are anything but!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Doctor, is it SAFE to have a baby?
Next
Day 8 Baseline Inconclusive Day 26 -ve while on PEP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.