Doctor, is it SAFE to have a baby?

Dr Bob, I recently came down with an oral infection first leaving some red dots at the back of my throat, then what I noticed a geographic tongue (or atleast I thought) and about 2 canker sores on my lips. The only thing I have now is a sore, scratchy throat. All of these symptoms lasted about a few weeks in total. My exposure was almost a year ago. I should mention that I got a negative antibody test 17 weeks after my unprotected act. It is now almost a year later and I came down with these symptoms. I always thought of myself as a healthy individual. Please evaluate and answer some questions:

1.) Is it possible to be experiencing ARS now or does this sound like a common viral infection?- I did not have a rash or fever and my lymph nodes did not feel swollen. 2.) What are the actual statistics that a heterosexual, non-IV drug user man living in the U.S. would have HIV? 3.) I want to have a baby one day, but do you think it would be safe? I would not want to harm my child if the chances I have HIV are high.

I hope you will answer this for me and it would be my pleasure to send a donation. Thank you.

1. ARS symptoms manifest themselves two to three weeks after primary infection with HIV, not 12 months later!

2. We don't have "actual statistics," as approximately 25% of the estimated one million HIV-positive Americans do not even know they are infected.

3. Your concerns are unwarranted. If you want extra reassurance before you start the baby-making festivities, get a rapid HIV test. It will provide an accurate result in as few as 20 minutes. From what you've told me, the result will undoubtedly be negative.

Thanks for your willingness to help those in desperate need by sending a donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. Stay well.

Searched archive and still confused and worried? plzzz help!!
Symptoms at 2 months - HIV possible?