|Doctor, is it SAFE to have a baby?
Aug 12, 2007
Dr Bob, I recently came down with an oral infection first leaving some red dots at the back of my throat, then what I noticed a geographic tongue (or atleast I thought) and about 2 canker sores on my lips. The only thing I have now is a sore, scratchy throat. All of these symptoms lasted about a few weeks in total. My exposure was almost a year ago. I should mention that I got a negative antibody test 17 weeks after my unprotected act. It is now almost a year later and I came down with these symptoms. I always thought of myself as a healthy individual. Please evaluate and answer some questions:
1.) Is it possible to be experiencing ARS now or does this sound like a common viral infection?- I did not have a rash or fever and my lymph nodes did not feel swollen. 2.) What are the actual statistics that a heterosexual, non-IV drug user man living in the U.S. would have HIV? 3.) I want to have a baby one day, but do you think it would be safe? I would not want to harm my child if the chances I have HIV are high.
I hope you will answer this for me and it would be my pleasure to send a donation. Thank you.
| Response from Dr. Frascino
1. ARS symptoms manifest themselves two to three weeks after primary infection with HIV, not 12 months later!
2. We don't have "actual statistics," as approximately 25% of the estimated one million HIV-positive Americans do not even know they are infected.
3. Your concerns are unwarranted. If you want extra reassurance before you start the baby-making festivities, get a rapid HIV test. It will provide an accurate result in as few as 20 minutes. From what you've told me, the result will undoubtedly be negative.
Thanks for your willingness to help those in desperate need by sending a donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).
Be well. Stay well.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Dizziness A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Sore Testicles Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Sex With A Prostitute How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For HIV
- How Likely Is It To Get HIV From Sex With A Prostitute?
- Hairy Tongue After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Loose Stool After Sucking Penis Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.