Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Searched archive and still confused and worried? plzzz help!!
Aug 12, 2007

Dr. Bob,

It's me agian. The girl that asked the same question a couple of times but no reply. I did an archive search but still worried sick and confused. I think you are a great guy and your services should be greatly appreciated by everyone that utilize it.

I was celibate for 3yrs straight after a painful divorce with my husband that cheated on me. I recently met a guy about 6 months ago that i fell in love with or at least i thought i was. he told me all the right things and i was vunerable and gulable (excuse spelling). Anyway after we dated for 3 months we decided to get intimate i asked him if he was tested for hiv and other stds and he would get upset and say yes he doesnt have anything. He sd his employer took blood and feces tests(he is a chef) I never heard of it but believed him. we has sex three times first time the condom broke so we decided to keep going. We had oral sex and all. The last encounter was july 5th w/o protection and shortly after i was diagnosed with clymidia and hpv due to a weird discharge after our first sex experience. i was devasted!!!! and he denies it to this day we are no longer together bc i found out what a creep he really is. I took the swab test 3 times after july 5th they all came back negative but couldnt wait the 6 month mark so i asked my doc to do a pcr dna qual test after 26 days negative. hsv1 pos and hsv2neg after 26 days can i feel some assurance that in 8 more wks my test will be negative? what are the chances of a false negative pcr test if there are so many false positives?i dont communicate with him anymore. ive been very depressed and having panic attacks currently on xanax and lexapro. I know you are swamped but your reply and good luck carma would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!! I did donated out of the kindness of my heart not a repsonse. God Bless!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The reason you didn't find anything in the archives is PCR RNA qualitative tests are not recommended for routine HIV screening. Consequently, since they are not used for this purpose, I cannot give you information about the diagnostic accuracy of the test at 26 days. What I can tell you is that false-positives are much more of a problem than false-negatives when using PCR RNA assays. Ultimately, your best option for an accurate result is to get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The odds remain very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from Chef Scumbag.

No doubt you've learned a very painful lesson about the absolute necessity of protecting your health by insisting on condoms for penetrative sex.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending my good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive three-month test remains negative. I very strongly believe it will.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Failed to donate!!! Help me do it right PLZ
Next
Doctor, is it SAFE to have a baby?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.