PEP and accuracy of HIV testing

Hi Doctor Frascino,

I've had unprotected anal and oral sex with the same guy for about 1.5 months. He ejaculated multiple times in my anus. On the 28th day post last exposure, I tested negative for the ELISA and Rapid tests. Also on that day, I was given Lamivudine 150mg +Zidovudine (I believe this is called Combivir.. for which I've had to take 2 pills daily) and Lopinavir 133.3mg + Ritonavir 33 (the Lopinavir and Ritonavir are one and came in an orange capusle which I've had to take 6 daily). The next day (29th day post last exposure), I took a PCR test and was negative for that too. I was wondering if my one day taking of the meds. rendered the PCR test falsely negative even tho' it was done 29 days post last exposure (includ. that one day of taking the meds. mentioned above)? I will take the ELISA and rapid tests again 10 weeks post last exposure. I was also wondering about the accuracy of the tests then (post 10 weeks) because I took those meds. for 2 weeks (started 28 days post last exposure)? Please help me. Thank you so very much.

I do not understand why you were given PEP a full 28 days after your last potential exposure. PEP is not felt to be beneficial if begun more than 72 hours after an HIV exposure. My strong advice is that you discontinue PEP immediately and that you take an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. Whoever prescribed PEP for you did so in error.

valproic acid? cure? rumor? will it ruin my woo-hoo?!
Bareback possibility (HIV TRANSMISSION BETWEEN TWO HIV NEGATIVES)