Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr Bob, Please Please Please Answer-will donate
Aug 10, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob

I have been a regular visitor to this forum over a year now. I had 4 unprotected sex episodes (no anal) during the last year, of which the last one was in November 2006. All of these were with working women. As you have repeatedly said and basically a question of common sense, the only way to know of ones status, is to get tested, however it was difficult to gather the courage to do so ( I know it sounds stupid). Quite frankly had it not been for your polite but firm rationale for people to get tested in your replies to various queries, I wouldnt have gone for the test. I am grateful to you.

In February this year (3 months after the last unprotected encounter) I did get tested. The results were negative. Since then and prior to getting tested, in general I am fine i.e. no fevers, or weight loss or other symptoms that are indicators of HIV onset, the thought still haunts me if the results were not conclusive. I have had enlarged tonsils for over 2 months now and had a cold recently, but nothing else. Given the above, would you recommend I get tested again?

Thank you and God Bless.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'm amazed that despite being so fearful of HIV, finding it "difficult to gather the courage" to get HIV tested and even when you do manage to get tested worrying about the results not being conclusive but yet you had four separate episodes of unprotected sex within the past year???? Obviously you understand the consequences of your sexual Russian roulette and yet you repeatedly continue to play and put yourself at risk. Why? You could avoid all this angst, worry and uncertainty with a thin piece of latex. I can only hope you have finally learned this very simple and potentially life-saving lesson.

That said, your three-month negative HIV test is definitive and conclusive. Your enlarged tonsils and recent cold are not related to HIV, because you don't have HIV. No further HIV testing is warranted. If you continue to perseverate on the possibility of HIV, a repeat rapid test to put your residual fears permanently to rest could be considered. If despite that you still have difficultly accepting the wonderful news that you dodged the HIV bullet, then you should seek psychological counseling.

Thanks for your interest in The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Stop worrying. Start WOO-HOOing. And remember, no glove, no love!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Frascino, I made the donation.
Next
"..per exposure.."? Please define exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.