Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Wrestling risk ? 2nd ATTEMPT - Made a donation
Aug 9, 2007

Hello doc,

I realize that you get way too many emails and I am hoping you look at this one.. I have also made a donation at http://www.concertedeffort.org to help the cause.

A few days ago, I wrestled with a stripper at a private party. She had her bikini and I had my underwear and tanks. There was no sex involved. There was a lot of tight hugging and locks with full body 2 body contact. We also worked up a lot of sweat. Later I saw that I had some bruises on my leg. There was no active bleeding but the skin seemed to be broken. I am not sure if I got them during the wrestling or if I had unknowingly scratched myself before that. Now, I am freaking out completely because I dont know how much of a risk I was at for HIV to be transmitted via the bruise.

Can you please tell me your opinion?

I also have another question : I always wonder what is the reason for not selling over the counter HIV testing kits at drug stores? Is it technologically infeasible or is there some other reason?

Thanks a lot for your wonderful forum.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Why wrestle the stripper? Was she trying to escape the horned-up bachelor's party or something? Oh, never mind. Whatever floats your boat. Your HIV risk from stripper wrestling is nonexistent, even with your bruise. If HIV were contracted this easily, everyone who rides the subway at rush hour would be infected by now.

As for HIV testing kits, Home Access Express test kits are indeed sold at pharmacies and online. This requires you use a lancet on your finger to get blood, which you then apply to a filter strip and mail in a protected envelope to the company. Your sample is identified only with an anonymous code. Perhaps some day in the future, after Dubya's Reign of Error, we'll progress to the point that HIV tests will be like home pregnancy tests with the entire process conducted in the privacy of your home. However, at the moment Bush and company are much more interested in knowing exactly who is and is not HIV positive. They have pushed through mandatory names reporting, not only for cases of AIDS, but also for anyone who tests HIV positive. At the same time our current sex-phobic, anti-science administration also hasn't done much to decrease HIV/AIDS ignorance and stigma in this country. Their prevention methods remain arcane. When's the last time you saw a condom ad on TV? Needless to say, if they are afraid of a thin piece of latex, they certainly aren't going to allow home HIV testing. Just another head-in-the-sand piece of Bush insanity. Is it 2008 yet?

Dr. Bob

Previous
risk of exposure to eyes (EYE EXPOSURE) (SEMEN and EYE CONTACT)
Next
hard masturbation cause blindness

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.