Question and donation (SEX TOYS)

Dear Dr Bob,

Great site, good advice with a touch of humour. Well done. How does one donate? How is the money used?

How long does HIV survive in air? I used a sex toy on a lady's clit and then wiped it twice with a towel before it was inserted in me. Perhaps the time before I used it was a minute or so. It was not moved much in the two minutes it was in me. Am I at risk of HIV?

Many thanks

Generally speaking, HIV does not survive very long outside the body. Exactly how long depends on many factors amount of infected fluid, ambient room temperature and humidity, viral strain, viral load, type of external surface, etc., etc., etc.

Overall, I say your HIV risk is extremely low. However, if you are concerned, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. I'll reprint some information from the archives about sex toys below.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's website. The money is used to fulfill the foundation's mission statement, which is to provide crucial services for men, women and children living with HIV/AIDS throughout the world and to raise awareness of the HIV/AIDS epidemic through advocacy and education. One example would be our Africa program that provides HIV medications to HIV-positive pregnant women in order to decrease the likelihood they will pass the virus on to their unborn babies. It costs only 85 cents to potentially save an infant from becoming infected. Eighty-five cents to save a life! On the website, you'll also find a copy of our latest newsletter that lists other projects we are currently involved in. Thanks for your interest in helping those desperately in need. Please note all gifts are tax-deductible. In return I'm sending you my best good-luck/good-health karma that you are and remain healthy and happy.

Cleaning Toys (SEX TOYS) Dec 14, 2006

I know that we shouldn;t share toys when playing, but can someone else use my toys if I've washed them well, wiped them down with rubbing alcohol, and then ran them thru the dishwaher with a cup of bleach added?

Is that enough?

As frequently is the case, the answer to your question was already waiting for you in the archives. Have a look (reprinted below)!

Be well.

Vancouver question Apr 24, 2006

Dr bob, your forum is excellent. I wish to support it on a regular basis. Question first. On Feb 28, I had shared a anal toy with a male bi-sexual sex worker.it was used on him first then taken out for about 1 min then inserted into me for the next 20 mins or so. I had 2 hiv test done so far but all negative. VDRL was negative too. Hep C is negative too. I am having some symptoms like small sores in mouth and tongue. Ocassional chills, some occassional headaches, a few episodes of drichea, increased pinkishness on my face or cheek areas. Fatigues as well. I am going to get my test done right when i reach the 3 months anniveasry of the exposure. Dr bob can u please let me know the risk involved here of getting hiv.I am dead worried,,,once i am negative,,i will scream yahhooo and send u a big big donation. Thanks a million.

Although I don't know what "a few episodes of drichea . . ." are, I would say your two negative HIV tests to date are encouraging, but not conclusive. I agree you should have a three-month test to get a definitive result.

Sex toys should not be shared without proper cleaning between uses. I also recommend using a condom on sex toys that are shared. I'll repost below a question from the archives that addresses safe sex toy use.

Thanks for your willingness to make a donation (www.concertedeffort.org). I'll send my good-luck karma that your three-month HIV test remains negative.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob, Help set the record straight on Sex Toys Sep 21, 2004

Dr. Bob,

I recently bought some anal sex toys (2 rubber plugs and 1 set of jelly beads) and got a little freaked out that maybe they had been used before (although I don't know nor do I have any proof they ever were used). The packaging was a little messed up and I thought I saw a hair on one of the plugs (perhaps it was one of mine from the initial handling). I did a pretty thorough visual exam of each toy and they didn't appear to have any fluids or wetness to them, However, to be safe, I did not use any of the toys for an initial 30 hours and during this 30 hour period I thoroughly washed each toy 4 separate times: twice with antibacterial soap (Triclosan) and twice with regular Irish Spring Bar Soap and let them air dry after each of the 4 washings. I also used fairly hot water (about 50 C to 60 C) for at least one of the rinses. I then used the toys but got freaked out when many of the sex toy sites said that rubber and jelly are porous and can't be sterlized. If the toys had been used before, and given my initial cleansing methods, did I just engage in a potentially "High", "Low", "Extremely Low", or "No Risk" event? Should I be tested for HIV?

J. J.

Hello JJ,

Wow, if you are that rigorous about cleansing a brand new sex toy, I can only imagine what you must do to a brand new boyfriend before having nookie with him. Is it true you sent your last boyfriend through a carwash three times strapped butt naked to the hood of a Hummer before you let him give you a hummer? And the boyfriend before that was stuffed into an industrial-strength front-loading washer with an extra dose of chlorine (water temp. 60-75C and) and then tumbled dried before you let him stuff and tumble you in bed??? OK, enough about making "dirty" boys squeaky clean. Let's talk about sex toys. Sex toys would pose an HIV risk only if the person using the toy before you was HIV positive and got some of their blood, pre-cum, semen, post-cum, or vaginal secretions on the toy, and the toy was used almost immediately after the infected person used it, and the infected person's body fluids had direct access to your mucosal surfaces or bloodstream. As you can see, your story does not meet these criteria.

It's surprising that some folks are fearful of contracting HIV from sex toys purchased new from adult stores. Do you really think it's likely someone else would have previously used that exact item??? Even Nordstrom wouldn't accept butt plug returns! And remember, the toy would have had to be used immediately before you. In essence, there is no risk of contracting HIV from new toys just purchased from a store. OK?

Now, just to be complete, I'll mention that to prevent HIV transmission when toying around with sex toys, simply wash the toy with soap and water immediately after you use it (and before anyone else uses it). You can, of course, also wash the toy immediately before you play with it. I would definitely consider the four washing cycles lasting 30 hours that you had with your new jelly and rubber friends to be excessive foreplay.

So, was your risk "high, low, extremely low, or no???" Hopefully by now, you know it's no! No? Yes, it's no!

Should you be tested for HIV? No. No risk means no reason to test. By the way, just how much money do you spend on cleaning products in an average month at your house?

Stay well J.J.

Drug interaction with PEP
risk of exposure to eyes (EYE EXPOSURE) (SEMEN and EYE CONTACT)