Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Answer me or let me die !! CONFUSING
Aug 9, 2007

Hello,

I'm starting to obsess and I really really need your help plz. I NEED MY LIFE BACK. FEEL FOR ME.

I tested negative for HIV at 90 and 100 days after my last possible exposure which was "isertive anal sex" "3 times". I was Top all the times. I wore condoms in the 3 times but I found out later they are expired.

The good testing site that I tested in says that 2 months are even enough. No need to wait 3 months. They also said that I don't need to test again and that's it..

I was happy with my results and decided to move on with my life but the following made me go back to square one: read plz it's from the CDC.

"if the initial negative HIV test was conducted within the first 3 months after possible exposure, repeat testing should be considered >3 months after the exposure occurred to account for the possibility of a false-negative result. Ninety-seven percent of persons will develop antibodies in the first 3 months following the time of their infection. In very rare cases, it can take up to 6 months to develop antibodies to HIV."

I don't really know how others could accept their results after 3 months knowing that there's a 3% possibilty that their tests are indeed positive not negative.

This is gonna make me crazy..

I will develop OCD if i keep thinking about this. PLZ HELP..

I know you will answer. I'm also rich so I could help others if you let me know how I can donate online.

Regards, ~21 & crazy~

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You're 21, crazy and rich? Hmmm . . . dangerous combo! I should also mention you're rather histrionic as well.

"Answer me or let me die!!!!???" Dude, you do realize that you're going ballistic over the mere possibility of an illness that I personally live with on a daily basis??? So let's drop the drama-queen antics and gain a bit of perspective, OK?

Expired condoms really aren't much of a problem, if they don't break! So your three-time-topping sex-perience was in essence protected, which means your HIV risk was essentially nonexistent. Add to that you've had negative HIV tests out to 100 days. These tests are conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way, no how.

The CDC is a very conservative government-run organization. Their guidelines are also extremely conservative and not frequently updated. Remember, Bush/Cheney are anti-science and sex-phobic.

So ratchet down the anxiety levels and the theatrics and ratchet up the WOO-HOO! HIV is not your problem. If you don't believe me, get a six-month test. It's not necessary or warranted and it will unquestionably be negative, but if you want that degree of "proof," go ahead and get it. Then you can write back to me as so many others have done in the past, advising me that I was right, and I'll try my damndest not to scream I told ya so!!!

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Dr. Bob

Previous
refuse to wooohoo, but so relieved
Next
Physician with diabetes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.