Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Answer this and I'll support a Hillary/Obama ticket in 2008
Aug 9, 2007

Dear Dr. Frascino,

First of all, thank you so much for this wonderful resource and for your amazing work. You are truly doing God's work.

I suffer from OCD and I don't know if I am being unreasonable or not but I have been miserable since this happened. Your answer would mean so much to me.

I was dancing at a club in West Hollywood. It was extremely hot and a lot of people, myself included, were dancing barefoot. I suddenly felt a pain in my big toe and when I looked down I realized that I had stepped on a thumb tack and though it did not penetrate very deep, I was bleeding a little in my big toe. I am scared that if someone else stepped on it too, I could be in danger.

Five days later I went to get a Td shot, and one day after that (six days later) I experienced chills and a low fever (highest was 100.2), I don't know if it is due to the Td shot or something else. The fever probably lasted less than 24 hours but I still had some intermittent headaches and mild throat discomfort for a few days after that. 11 days after the incident I had a low fever again (~100) that only lasted a few hours but I was not feeling sick at the time. I also noticed a few red bumps on my upper leg and one on my arm. In your opinion, do I need testing for HIV or hepatitis?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV and hepatitis risk are essentially nonexistent from such a potential exposure. I do not feel HIV or hepatitis screening is warranted or necessary. However, such screening is always available to you. Your symptoms are not at all worrisome for HIV or hepatitis.

Finally, if you're dancing in a club in West Hollywood, who the hell else would you vote for??? Mitt Romney gets hives just at the mention of West Hollywood and the other GOP contenders go catatonic at the thought of campaigning there. As for a Hillary/Obama ticket, I would love that, but they don't seem to love each other. My current guess is it will be Hillary/Richardson perhaps. We'll see!

Dr. Bob

Previous
rape victim help
Next
Can't seem to find an answer, please help!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.