Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible Occupational Exposure and Testing
Aug 8, 2007

Hi - I am a police officer from Australia.

17 days ago I attended a car accident where a female passenger in the car received some cuts/scratches to her knuckles in the accident. Her fingers were bleeding quite lightly.

After speaking with the female, who touched the front of my shirt when talking to me, I noticed a small amount of blood on the shirt. I did not come into contact with her skin or blood - the only time I touched her was on the shoulder for a second when I was speaking with her. She was wearing a leather jacket.

I am now concerned that there may have been a small amount of blood on her jacket which I could have come in contact with and did not see as her jacket was black. I did not see any blood on my hands (although I did not check thoroughly) but afterwards I rubbed anti-bacterial hand gel into my hands just in case.

I had some small scratches/scabs on the backs of my hands from doing some work on the house. They were not open sores - they had formed scabs.

What is the chance of contracting HIV in this instance (I am not aware of the lady's HIV status)?

What is the earliest type of test I can take? Due to the anxiety I am suffering re. this I need to take a test as soon as possible - perhaps NAT / PCR? How effective would this be and when can it be taken?

In Australia, the laboratory that does the HIV tests (Ag/Ab) say that infection is excluded if taken 6 weeks or more after exposure however you say 3 months. Which is correct?

I thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer me. It has been difficult to get this information where I am from.

Anxious Officer

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Anxious Officer,

Your HIV-transmission risk is nonexistent. HIV testing is not warranted or necessary. Gosh, if HIV were that contagious, it would have wiped out the planet long ago! You certainly do have a problem, but that problem is not HIV. It's fear of HIV, with the operative word being fear. Those fears are completely irrational and have led to anxiety. I urge you to seek counseling for your anxiety and irrational HIV fears. Review the policy and procedures manual for dealing with blood or other potential infectious body fluids. This issue will undoubtedly come up periodically in your line of work and at present you are not well equipped psychologically to deal with it. I would also suggest you spend some time perusing the wealth of information on this site and its archives related to HIV-transmission risk. I have addressed the issue of HIV testing and duration of the window period multiple times. You can easily review this information in the archives as well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PEP regimine with Sustiva
Next
Please ans i am going nutz

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.