Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possibility of Not Being Infected by Partner
Aug 8, 2007

My question is basically: is it possible that a woman could have unprotected sex with a guy lots of times, but without him ejaculating inside her and still not contract HIV from him, even if he was positive? I heard that Magic Johnson's wife never got it from him. Please answer; the fear of AIDS is ruining my life, as I have become obsessed with the idea that I have it. Every time my phone rings I believe that it is somebody telling me my boyfriend has aids or one of my exes has it. I am terrified to get tested because I'm afraid it will be positive! I have no insurance and I would probably never be able to afford the meds. Please help!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Is it possible to be exposed to HIV and not become infected? Absolutely, and I should add, thankfully so. In fact, it happens all the time. HIV transmission is a complex process that involves many things in addition to mere exposure. Take, for example, the estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from receptive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive. This estimated risk is 10 per 10,000 exposures (and that includes exposures with ejaculation!).

There is no doubt that fear of AIDS is running your life. But please note the operative word is "fear," not AIDS. You need professional help from a psychologist or psychiatrist to help you confront and conquer these totally irrational and unwarranted fears. You definitely do have a problem. However, please remember that problem is not HIV/AIDS!!!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV risk?
Next
PEP regimine with Sustiva

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.