scared

First of all I have read your posts regarding the chances of receiving oral sex and contracting HIV...still I am worried (I know the amount of fear I have is irrational) I have been married for 16 years never cheated on my wife...then 6 days ago I was at a strip club things got out of hand and I received unprotected oral sex from a stripper. Now I can't think about anything else but that I may have acquired HIV. Two days after I started to feel really tired, had a fever of about 99.5 and diarrhea...now 6 days later the fever is going between 99.5 and 100, I have no energy and the diarrhea is not going away.

Two questions

1. Could symptoms appear this quickly..I have read so much contradictory information.

2. If these symptoms are due to HIV would that mean if I did a rapid HIV test this early it would be accurate?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You are absolutely correct! The degree of your fear and worry about HIV is irrational. It relates more to your guilt than to any real HIV-transmission risk.

To respond to your questions:

1. Acute retroviral syndrome symptoms generally appear two to three weeks after primary infection (not two days!).

2. No. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive (even if "symptoms" are present).

My advice is simple:

1. Level with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do.

2. If you're still worried about HIV, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. Please note this is primarily to put any residual fears permanently to rest. Also, your "symptoms" are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV ARS. Rather, they are very consistent with anxiety/depression.

Please help my daughter
Possible health care worker exposure/ symptoms