Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hi Doc..Jay here ..Again!
Aug 4, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob,

I am really thankful to you for your propmt reply to my concern. As promised ,I just donated some money.

Your replies had eased me a lot and the last month and a half was the best period of my life. The itching got away and everything was ok.

I have a question for which I am not able to find an answer on the net.

Last night I got into something that is again bothering me. I had protected sex with a prostitute of African origin. Her place was highly hygenic and she had condoms with her though I used my own condom.

Now we had sex for only two mins and I did not ejaculate. The condom did not break and I did not have any kind of oral sex. My only concern is that the girl used jelly on the condom.

I did not know if the jelly was oil based or water based. I have heard an Oil based jelly can weaken the latex. Presuming the jelly was oil based, is it possible the latex (I used) got weakened and allowed the infection to pass through. I am presuming the pros had some infection.?

Dr.Bob this is my last question and please help me one last time. You are the only person I have faith in after my father, that you will give your right advise. I don't want to bother my folks for such things and I am sorry to bother you again.

Anyways I have made a resolution for life that I am gonna donate periodically even though I am not a worriedwell years after.

Also I am going to stop visiting prostitutes and only think of having sex with my girlfriend.

Thank you

Best Regards Jay

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Jay,

It is true that oil-based products can decrease the integrity of latex, making it more likely to break. Like you, I have no way of knowing whether the jelly your Naughty Lady of Shady Lane used was oil or water based. The good news is that the condom didn't break and the sex was relatively brief (two minutes). If you're concerned, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. The odds once again are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this sex-capade. Seeing a negative test result may be the most effective and efficient way for you to put any residual worry permanently to rest.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'll resend my good-luck karma that your three-month definitive test remains negative, OK?

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
My boy friend told me that he is HIV positive. What test should i get, is my test sufficient.
Next
walking on pin and needles

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.