The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My boy friend told me that he is HIV positive. What test should i get, is my test sufficient.

Aug 4, 2007

Hi Dr. Bob, My boy friend told me four months back that he is HIV positive. He came to know that he is HIV positive though a PCR test. His antibody tests were negative. He was saying that he was using immunosuppressants for a longterm for a transplant which he had. We used to have unprotected sex some times. I tested for an HIV 1 and HIV 2 antibody test recently and the elisa test result is negative. Our last exposure was 7 months ago.

Can i believe my antibody test result or do i also need to get a PCR test, since my boy friend was on immunosuppressants. I was never on any immunosuppressants.

Response from Dr. Frascino


If your HIV-1 and HIV-2 ELISA (antibody) tests are negative out to seven months from the time of your last exposure, your results are definitive and conclusive. You are HIV negative. No additional testing is warranted. In particular, you do not need a PCR test. Your boyfriend needed it because his immunosuppressant therapy apparently depressed his ability to make specific antibodies, including anti-HIV antibodies. Therefore he needed an HIV test that didn't rely on antibody production such as the PCR test for diagnosis. You, on the other hand, are not on immunosuppressant therapy; therefore, your HIV-antibody tests are accurate.

Dr. Bob

Hi Doc..Jay here ..Again!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint