HPV warts and testing

Hi!

I read your forum a lot, and I found it fantastic, and very helpful. Im your fan from Hungary, also working in the Health Care.

When I was in the USA 2005, I had unprotected oral, and protected vaginal sex with an escort girl (originated from "Virgina", she told me) unknown status in the "heat of the night" in Miami, at the shores of the ocean. It was 2005 August. US is a great country with all the good cities, but unfortunately I haven't got the chance to visit San Fransisco.

I was worried to sick, I had fever, rashes, herpes, folliculitis, diarrhoe. These symptoms come and go. I was tested in Budapest (Hungary, European Union) after 3 months. Blood drawn Elisa, the testing MD said HIV1/2 new kind of antibody test are used each time. They are the National Institute for Dermatology and Venerology, they are the one allowed to make the official HIV screening for the US visa requirements also. They do more than 30 thousand HIV screening, serology per a year.

I was retested 1 year later 2006 August, and now this April after 20 months. They are all negative. The testing MD told me, it is "absolutely" negative, I don't know what does it mean. I think it should be "at least encouraging" or not? Can I be a late seroconverter or a guy with a very rare strain of HIV?

My dermatologist realised I have some HPV warts on my penis. I treat them now for 3 months with podophylline, podophyllotoxin: its not getting worse, but also not so much better. They are recurrent.

Should I worry? My really experienced dermatologist said, I am a HIV freak, and stop crying about that!

Is it common, or is it possible to have long, recurrent HPV warts without having HIV at the age of 28?

Thank you for your answer, and if you wolid like to come to Budapest, or to Hungary, just write me, you are kindly invited to check out this beautiful city and country.

Gregory

Hi Gregory,

You've tested repeatedly negative out to 20 months following an extremely low-risk potential exposure unprotected oral and protected vaginal sex with an escort in the heat of the night on the beach in Miami. Your M.D. has told you that you are "absolutely negative" and you "don't know what it means???" WHAT??? Gregory, there is absolutely nothing the least bit ambiguous about "absolutely negative!" I absolutely agree with your doctor's assessment and don't know how to say it any plainer than he did! HIV is not your problem. No way, no how!

Are you a late seroconverter? No, absolutely not!

Do you have a rare strain of HIV? No, absolutely not!

HPV is a very common STD and much easier to acquire than HIV. Is it common or possible to have recurrent HPV warts without having HIV at age 28? Absofrickinlutely yes! The vast majority of cases of HPV, at 28 or any other age, have absolutely nothing to do with HIV. And that includes your case as well! I'll reprint some information about HPV below.

If you cannot stop worrying about HIV, a disease you could not possibly have, you'll need to get psychological help to confront your irrational and unwarranted fears of being HIV infected.

Regarding Budapest, I have been there and you are correct: it is indeed a beautiful city!

Be well! Stop worrying!

HPV vaccine and cervical/oral cancer? Jul 5, 2007

Hello Dr. Bob. This is the Mommy that you have always been so kind in easing the worries of, needing your wisdom once again in an extremely uncomfortable situation . I hope that these questions find you in the best of health, and as always, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your reply. I was diagnosed with HPV-16 which seems to be the cause of my cervical cancer. I am trying to find the words to ask you the following questions as they are extremely embarrassing for me, but I am desperate for your help in explaining the answers and you are the only person I trust to ask. OK. When my husband and I have engaged in sexual relations, sometimes when we are in the "spoon" position, his penis slips into my anus while trying to, from the back, put it in my vagina. I wonder if because of this, I now have... How I absolutely hate to say it... warts... I cannot stand it Dr. Bob! It is not enough that I feel so filthy and dirty with HIV, but to now have this... I have tried and actually have cut our sexual intimacy to where it is almost non existant especially now that I have this situation that has put him at even greater risk (the condom has broken sometimes (he says they are too tight despite the fact that he is not really large) as well as having the condom slip off) and yes, I know he has to get tested but the guilt that I feel... There are no words Dr. Bob to express the profound guilt that I feel... The utter disgust... My husband is not bothered by this at all, as he says he knew there would be risks but that he is willing to take that chance. I am the one that is having serious issues. The warts had been removed months ago in what is such a barbaric way, shots in and out of the anus that hurt so bad, and then a burning tool used to burn them off only to have them come back. I hate that when I bathe (which I do at least 3-5 times a day out of how filthy I feel) I feel them and they itch no matter how I scrub. I researched online to see what remedies may be used to get rid of them and although alot of them where outrageous, I am so desperate (not to mention that I do not want to go through that procedure again) that I am tempted to try anything in hopes of feeling a little "normal". Is there anything in the works as far as a vaccine or anything else for people that are in their 40s and already have HPV? Is there anything that you can recommend I take to get rid of them? I know there is a cream that sounds like a blessing, but I have three disabled people in my family and we are on such a tight budget I cannot afford it not to mention that I do not have insurance. Also, to add to my guilt even more, we used to engage in oral sex as well, and now I am even more petrified because I read that HPV-16 can also cause Oropharyngeal Cancer! What are the probabilities that he has contracted any or both (via penis and/or mouth)? Should I examine his neck,throat and penis frequently and if so, what should I look for? Is it a given that he already has contracted either of them? I cannot sleep at all and am looking so physically ill (everyone is commenting on it) and I pray there is a ray of hope to all of this. I have an undetectable viral load (except for a small blip on two occasions which the Dr. says is nothing to worry about) and my T-CELL count is above 600. Do you think that I may be able to enjoy having sexual relations again? How does someone with these situations even consider having sex? This is driving my husband nuts because he desperately misses our intimacy and even when I try to engage in it with him, I find myself cringing and becoming stiff when he touches me in my frontal area because I am afraid his fingers or otherwise will find their way to my anal area and, I do not have to tell you because I am sure you already know, it is an absolute kill joy. Thank you for reading this and for your reply which I anxiously await. You are, as I have mentioned numerous times before, an incredible human being. You are very much loved and appreciated. Wishing you a great evening.

I'll post some general information from the archives about HPV below. This will answer some of your questions.

As for your husband's problems with condoms, I suggest he try different varieties until he finds the best fit. It's a bit counterintuitive to complain the condom is "too tight" only to have it "slip off!"

Next, regarding treatment of HPV, I would strongly recommend against the online remedies. Not only don't they work, they are often expensive and may even be harmful. Unfortunately, there is no therapeutic vaccine available yet. As for "getting rid of them," you'll need to work closely with a doctor you trust. There are a variety of treatments available and with persistence you should be able to clear up the active warts. Hopefully, with your improved immune status you'll be able to mount your own immune response against the warts. It is true that being HIV positive can make it easier for genital warts to grow and harder to treat them, but they are indeed treatable.

Should you examine your husband for HPV symptoms? No, you wouldn't know what to look for. His physician can examine him periodically as indicated.

Finally, your guilt and psychological reaction to having contracted several STDs (HIV and HPV) is excessive. These are viruses and all humans are susceptible to them! Bathing three-five times a day because you feel "filthy" is indicative of an abnormal psychological reaction to being infected. Talk to your doctors to see if there are counseling services available that may help you and your husband reestablish intimacy safely and with confidence. Illness should never induce shame!

Good luck. Stop being so hard on yourself!

hiv and hpv May 20, 2007

My path report showed CIN-I and HPV. Does this mean I am positive for HIV?

No, HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) and HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) are two very distinct viruses. Testing positive for one does not automatically mean you are positive for the other. CiN-1 stands for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia stage 1. This condition can be cause by several strains of HPV. It will require follow-up with your gynecologist. If you've placed yourself at risk for HIV (unprotected sex, sharing IV drug paraphernalia, etc.), you'll need a specific HIV test three months or more after your last potential exposure. You can read much more about HPV and HIV in the archives. I'll reprint some information about HPV below.

HPV and HIV May 17, 2006

Hello, My boyfriend has HIV and I do not. We have protected vaginal sex daily and he performs oral sex on me regularly. I also perform oral sex on him, but only for a few minutes, and never to the point of ejaculation. We have also engaged in some light rimming. He has a good Infectious Disease Specialist. I get tested regularly for HIV.

Recently, after seeing a commercial on television that talked about the correlation between HPV and cervical cancer, he mentioned that his last two girlfriends (they were before he knew he had HIV, and they had unprotected sex) had abnormal cells that were scraped off/frozen from their cervices (sp?). Anyway, this kinda freaked me out. I have never noticed any lesions on him. He can't go in for an examination yet, because his health insurance is not in effect yet.

I have not noticed any lesions on myself, but thanks to our public school system sex education, we don't have any information on HPV. Thank God for that commercial.

1) Can we still have oral sex? 2) Can he be tested for HPV? 3) If I have it, will I have an outbreak? 4) Does this disease go away or will he/we have it for the rest of his/our lives? 5) If I have the cancerous type, and the abnormal cells are removed, am I contagious to him for reinfection? 6) Is [male condom] protected sex good enough if we don't see any lesions?

The first step is to learn a bit more about HPV. I'll post an item from the archives below that addresses the basic facts about HPV. It addresses most of the specific questions you raise. The next step is to find out if your boyfriend has HPV or not. His HIV specialist will screen him. If you have additional questions after that, write back and I'll try to assist.

Be well. Stay well.

Human papillomavirus (HPV) February 22, 2006

What Is HPV?

How Is HPV Detected?

Can HPV Infection Be Prevented?

How Are HPV Infections Treated?

The Bottom Line

NOTE: In the U.S., counseling and referrals are available on a national human papillomavirus (HPV) hotline. Call toll-free at 877-HPV-5868 (877-478-5868). Hours are from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern Standard Time Monday through Friday.

What Is HPV?

There are over 100 viruses known as human papilloma virus (HPV). They are common. One study found HPV in 77% of HIV-positive women. HPV is transmitted easily during sexual activity. In fact, it is estimated that 75% of all sexually active people between ages 15 and 49 get at least one type of HPV infection.

Some types of HPV cause common warts of the hands or feet. Infections of the hands and feet are usually not transmitted through sexual activity. Several types of HPV cause genital warts on the penis, vagina, and rectum. Those with HIV can get worse sores in the rectum and cervical area. HPV can also cause problems in the mouth or on the tongue or lips. Other types of HPV can cause abnormal cell growth known as dysplasia. Dysplasia can develop into cancers of the penis and anus, and cervical cancer in women.

Dysplasia around the anus is called anal intraepithelial neoplasia (AIN). The epithelium is the layer of cells that cover organs or openings in the body. Neoplasia means the new development of abnormal cells. Anal intraepithelial neoplasia is the new development of abnormal cells in the lining of the anus.

Dysplasia in the cervical region is called cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN). One study found AIN or CIN in over 10% of HIV-positive men and women. Another study showed that women with HIV infection have a much higher rate of CIN than HIV-negative women.

How Is HPV Detected?

To detect HPV, health care providers look first for dysplasia or genital warts. Dysplasia can be detected by Pap smears. They are usually used to check a woman's cervix. They can also be used to check the anus in men and women. A swab is rubbed on the area being checked to pick up some cells. They are smeared on a glass slide and examined under a microscope.

A new HPV test called a reflex test is being used to follow up on Pap smear results that are not clear. It can indicate who needs more careful examination or treatment. The reflex test identifies which types of HPV are present and can indicate if aggressive treatment is needed.

Some researchers believe that anal and cervical smears should be checked each year for people with elevated risk:

People who have had receptive anal intercourse.

Women who have had cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN).

Anyone with under 500 CD4 cells.

However, other researchers think that careful physical examination can detect as many cases of anal cancer as anal Pap testing.

Genital warts can appear anywhere from a few weeks to a few months after you are exposed to HPV. The warts might look like small bumps. Sometimes they are fleshy and look like small cauliflowers. They can get bigger over time. Your health care provider can usually tell if you have genital warts by looking at them. Sometimes a tool called an anoscope is used to look at the anal area. If necessary, a sample of the suspected wart will be cut off and examined under a microscope. This is called a biopsy.

Genital warts are not caused by the same HPV that causes cancer. However, if you have warts, you may have also been exposed to other types of HPV that could cause cancer. Can HPV Infection Be Prevented?

There is no easy way to tell if someone is infected with an HPV. People who don't have any signs or symptoms of HPV infection can transmit the infection.

Condoms do not totally prevent transmission of HPV. HPV can be transmitted from person to person by direct contact with infected areas that aren't covered by a condom. To get the best protection from condoms, use them every time. Put them on before any contact with a possibly infected area.

Men and women with HIV who are sexually active may want to have a regular Pap smear, anal and/or vaginal, to check for abnormal cells or early signs of warts. A positive result can be followed up to see if treatment is needed. Promising preventive vaccines against some HPV types are being developed.

How Are HPV Infections Treated?

There is no direct treatment for HPV infection. Some people "clear" an HPV infection (are "cured"). They can later be infected with HPV again. Dysplasias and warts can be removed. There are several ways to do this:

Burning them with an electric needle (electrocautery) or a laser.

Freezing them with liquid nitrogen.

Cutting them out.

Treating them with chemicals like Trichloroacetic Acid (TCA), Podophyllin or Podofilox. NOTE: Podophyllin and Podofilox should not be used by pregnant women.

Other, less common treatments for warts include the drugs 5-FU (5-fluorouracil) and Interferon-alpha. 5-FU is a cream. Interferon must be injected into the warts. A new drug, imiquimod (Aldara®), has been approved for treatment of genital warts. Cidofovir (Vistide®), originally developed to fight cytomegalovirus (CMV), might also help fight HPV. A new drug called HspE7 has shown benefits in early research.

HPV infection can last for a long time, especially in people who are HIV-positive. Dysplasia and warts can return. They should be treated as soon as they are found to reduce the chances of the problem spreading or returning.

The Bottom Line

Human papilloma viruses (HPV) are fairly common. Different types of HPV cause warts or abnormal cell growth (dysplasia) in or near the anus or cervix. This abnormal cell growth can result in cervical or anal cancer. Genital HPV infections are transmitted through sexual activity.

HPV infection can last a long time, especially in people with HIV.

A Pap smear can detect abnormal cell growth in the cervix. It can also be used to check the anus of men and women. Although Pap smears may be the best way to detect early cervical cancer, careful physical examination may be the best way to detect anal cancers.

The signs of HPV infection -- warts or dysplasia -- should be treated as soon as they show up. Otherwise, the problem could spread and be more likely to return after treatment.

Still need testing, worried and depressed (FALSE POSTIVE HIV PCR)
sHalom