Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

unprotected vaginal sex
Aug 3, 2007

Dear Dr. Robert J. Frascino, In a moment of passion I had unprotected vaginal sex with a woman Ive been going out with for the last two weeks. After the act I got extremely nervous about the possible transmission of STDs especially HIV. I asked her if shes been tested and she said that she has her routine physicals but shes not sure if they tested her for HIV, she also said that she is usually very careful and only had sex with a eleven guys in her life, she doesnt use any drugs, doesnt smoke, and doesnt seem like a girl who would do something crazy to jeopardize her life. I was also scared that I may have given something to her so I got a rapid HIV test 11 days after the incident, came back negative, this should be comforting to her since I havent had any risk three month prior the test, but Im really scared about my status. Does the test I took mean anything at all about my current HIV status? Do you think Im at high risk? I havent felt so well the last few days, with mussel pains and fatigue, however no fever, and I think a little rash on my arm, but it may just be from a burn I got from cooking a week ago, and I see two white pointy spots on the side of my tongue could this be ARS? After I got tested (11 days after) we had sex again, she insisted I ware a condom, which made me very happy, but during the sex the condom broke, it feels like Im just have no luck. Im very grateful for what you do and I will make a donation when I get my next pay check. Thanks for everything

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You report your gal-pal "doesn't seem like a girl who would do something crazy to jeopardize her life." Yet she had unprotected sex with you during your moment of passion. She's also had sex with at least 11 guys and yet she doesn't know if she's ever had an HIV test? Hmmm . . . .

Your 11-day negative test is encouraging, but not definitive.

Do I think you placed yourself at "high risk"? No, not high risk, but some risk, yes.

If you are still in touch with gal-pal, you could ask her to get a rapid HIV test. If she agrees and is negative, you can relax significantly, as the only remaining theoretical risk would then be that she is still in her window period. This, of course, would be highly unlikely. I would also suggest you get an HIV test three months after your last potential exposure (the broken-condom episode). In addition, review the information in the archives on proper condom usage. Condoms very rarely break when used properly with water-based lubricant.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I'll send my good-luck karma that your three-month definitive HIV test remains negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Stupid Man
Next
Still need testing, worried and depressed (FALSE POSTIVE HIV PCR)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.