DR BOB=MAGNIFICENT!

dr bob I just want to say you are a wonderful person and a very strong willed person at that!! you seem to make even the darkest days bright!! the vast majority of us WW...

please i have a question though...i am 25/m had unprotected sex with a female i believe is high risk...she says shes negative...but...anyhow, i have had symptoms out the wazoo!! swollen tonsils, nodes in neck, fever, diarrhea only for 3 days total through out 6 weeks, gas, sore joints and muscles..and tired all the time. the first thing that happened after this huge mistake was a penile yeast infection..then lasted for 3 weeks b/c i am not cut...so its hard to keep him from being moist.

i will get tested at 3 months..but im scared!! all my symptoms started at the end of my first week and have persisted till now...dry mouth and swollen tonsils are the only symptoms left....I sleep alot, mainly because im depressed at this point and really dont want to think about this anymore till i get tested...

please ANSWER!!! i love you dr bob!! stay well!!!

Symptoms, even those "out the wazoo," are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. No doubt unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. However, your degree of worry is way out of proportion to any real risk. Testing is warranted, but excessive worry is not. Besides, worrying will not change the outcome of your test; it will only make you miserable during the window period. If you're getting depressed, see your doctor or get some counseling to help you cope with the stress and anxiety of the waiting period. I'll send some of my good-luck karma that your three-month definitive test is negative, OK? Remember, the odds you did not contract HIV from this single episode remain astronomically in your favor.

Love you too, guy.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me.

PEP or not PEP
Expecto Patronum!!!!!