Multiple Alergic Reactions

I was diagnosed with HIV in February 2006. I started treatment in January 2006 when my T-cell count dropped. I was started on Atripla. Within one week I began to break out in red bumps under the skin. A couple days later my whole body was one red raised blotch and my skin was on fire. It took nearly a month for rash to go away after stopping the meds. A similar reaction was had when my doctor switched me to a combination of Norvir, Truvada, and Lexiva. Again it took my skin one month to heal. Now I am on Combivir, Reyataz, and Norvir. I am beginning to have the same allergic reaction again. I have contacted my doctor and we are going to give it a couple of days. But at this point I am honestly a little scared that perhaps my body just doesnt tolerate HIV treatment in general. I know there are other options but this rough start has me discouraged. I dont really know what to do if this is another allergic reaction. What would you suggest?

Frustrated in Utah

You were diagnosed in February 2006 and started treatment in January 2006???? Hmmm . . . OK, if you say so.

Allergic drug reactions are more common in HIVers; however, your problem is a bit unusual. I would suggest you ask your HIV specialist for a referral to an HIV-knowledgeable allergist and/or dermatologist. It's important to determine if indeed these are true "allergic" drug reactions or something else. With some persistence and guidance from an allergist, you should be able to find a potent antiretroviral regimen that you can tolerate without transforming into one giant red blotch!

Good luck!

Can CMV delay seroconversion?
I'm doing stupid things, over and over