Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can CMV delay seroconversion?
Aug 1, 2007

Dear Dr.Frascino,

This is my second message. Please give me some responses. I am very worried about HIV infection. This makes me cannot sleep for a half of year. Please do not ignore me. I have read a lot of archive in this website about HIV risk from massage, but I think that my situation is different.

The brief story is I have been to massage palor in Bangkok Thailand in December 2006. The masseuse was topless (wore underwear). She is a sex worker. The only thing I did is I touched her breast during the massage, around 40 minutes. No any sexual activities, blowjobs, and handjobs were involved. One day later, I felt that my body temperature has been risen up, up to now.

Since April 2007 (3 months later), I started to get the low-grade fever for two months. I also got the swollen glands at my neck (left and right). I had the night sweat for two weeks. The spleen is enlarged. I suspected that this might be acute HIV infection.

The doctor did the blood test for HIV and the results show negative at 4.5 and 6 months. The other tests show that I use to have glandular fever in the past and also CMV (but do not know when-I am 37 years old at the moment).

Right now, the size of swollen glands has reduced, but not get back to normal. However, I still get intermittent low-grade fever almost every day so far, up to now (already 4 months).

My question are;

1. Is it possible for me to get the HIV infection from this massage (as the masseuse may not clean her hand after she did the hand jobs for the pervious clients)? I had a wound at my right foot and she use her hand touch the wound.

2. Can CMV and glandular fever make the seroconversion delay and longer than 6 months?

3. Is my HIV test is definitely conclusive at 6 months? Do I need to get the test at 9 and 12 months again? I heard that somebody may take up to 12 months for the seroconversion. From you experience, how is the chance to get HIV positive at 9-12 months after the negative at 6 months?

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Regards,

Mr.UK

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mr. UK,

You are very worried about HIV infection and beg me for "some responses," because you haven't slept in six months and because you think your situation is different. Hmmm . . . OK. Let's have a look.

You went to Bangkok and had a sex worker give you a massage. (Obviously nothing unusual or different about that. Just check the archives.) The masseuse was topless. (OK, this may be mildly different, as many sex worker "masseuses" go bottomless as well.)

The only thing you did was touch her breasts for 40 minutes. No blowjob, handjob or sex. (Now I absolutely agree: your situation is indeed different. Many might say you got gypped. Others might find it hard to believe you didn't ban cock in Bangkok under such circumstances.)

So now that we've established just how different your situation is, you're worried about HIV?!? Just from touching titties??? Well, I can see why I skipped over your initial post!!!

I'll proceed to your three specific questions:

1. No.

2. No.

3. Yes. No. In your case, completely nonexistent!

Your worries are completely unwarranted. HIV is not your problem. No way, no how.

Dr. Bob

Previous
A more specific question
Next
Multiple Alergic Reactions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.