AMAZING!!!!

Dr. Rob,

It's me, "Screwed!" hahaha. anyways, i saw you post some replys about how green tea affects binding of the virus to the CD4 receptor.

I'm sure you've read the article, but I really cant contain my excitement. It's 4 am in the morning and I had to tell someone, so i thought id post.

"We found that the EGCG molecule itself binds to the same exact binding pocket on the CD4 molecule at the site of the same amino acids to which gp120 binds,"

I think that is AMAZING. the fact that EGCG binds to THE SAME POCKET as gp120. the same exact aa residues! Wow, im such a dork but sh**! Isn't this huge? I can hardly stop smiling!The fact that another compound found in nature binds the exact site with a higher affinity is so exciting.

I would LOVE to research this virus...the molecular basis and aspects of infection are insanely interesting to me.

How can a person so interested and honestly know a good deal about the virus be so scared of it?

stupid phobia... *sigh*

-Screwed

Hey Screwed,

It's 4 AM and you're all jazzed about Green Tea's EGCG??? And you aren't even HIV positive! Hmmm . . . dude, I've got to tell you most guys who are wound up and this excited at 4 AM are usually in the process of getting "screwed" by something other than a "stupid phobia."

Please note the data on EGCG is extremely preliminary and only one of many potential promising leads under investigation. Exactly how "AMAZING" this compound will turn out to be only time and Professor Sybil Trelawney can tell.

Yes, the mechanisms involved with HIV pathogenesis are indeed insanely interesting as well as insanely frustrating for those of us who have been studying it for the past quarter century.

As for how can a person who is interested in and knows a good deal about something also be scared of it, well a phobia is an irrational fear; therefore, merely knowing about the cause of the fear may not affect the psychological condition. Just look at the number of folks who are irrationally afraid of spiders or snakes or Dubya getting elected President and screwing up the entire world. OK, scratch that last one. It turned out to be real.

Stay tuned to The Body. We'll keep you informed as the green tea story evolves or doesn't evolve, whatever the case may be.

odds of vaginal transmission of HIVq
rude guy again