Oral Exposure with Sex Worker *Follow Up*

Hello Dr Bob, How are you? I do hope your okay.

I wrote to your good self twice, and you answered both times. And it gave me so much hope, thinking out of so many Questions; you took the time to answer mine. Well i got tested this Thursday just gone and the result was negative!! I was happy for about half an hour then i started worrying again.

Basically the test centre i went to took my blood and sent it off to a local hospital to test for HIV, Hep b and Syphilis. When i came back for my result the Counsellor called me into his office and said straight away that i was negative, and that the other two test had not come back yet. The thing that's worrying me is that they got my second Intial wrong! Everything else was okay! My Date of birth, Name, Address and Patient Number. How could they get this wrong? my Intials are Q.F. they had Q.B. and F is nowhere near B on a conventional QWERTY keyboard - So a typo is out of the question! I told the counsellor this but he said everything else checks out so it has to be my results.

To check he typed in my Intials but nothing came up, blank screen! when he typed in the other Intials my details came up!!

Is it possible for my blood to be mistaken for someone else's in the Lab or mixed up? the nurse that took my blood writ my Intials and DOB on the vials and placed it in a bag with all my details written on the front. In a lab in your experience is there a chance for the wrong persons details to end up with someones else's blood? Do they place all the vials of blood in a stand together then take out one at a time to test?

My anxiety has returned, I'm waiting for a phone call to say that they got my Labs mixed up with someone else's!

Have you ever heard of someones HIV test results being mixed up with some other persons?

I am a coward really, my now Ex girlfriend had three Vaginal Thrush episodes, several cold sore outbreaks and still i did not test! Only when she had Diarrhea did i think this is getting serious so i tested.

I just want to get back to my old life. This has been a journey, I've withdrawn from my friends and basically done nothing for the last 6 months and 15 days! I've come to realise spending time with the people you love (family, friends) in my opinion is the most important thing you can do, as well helping others who are so much unfortunate than us.

What i want to know is Dr Bob, can i put HIV behind me? or do i need to retest because of the possibility of human error involved in my case?

I will Donate to your great cause when i get paid and will continue to do so whenever i can.

Oh yeah it's UK Guy again in case i never said!

P.S. I'm not Gay but the counsellor who gave my results to me was a hunk!! Gay or straight!!

Hello again UK Guy,

Dude, do you really think someone else with your same first initial, last name, date of birth, address and patient number would have their blood drawn for the exact same tests you did on the exact same day you did???? What do you mean "a typo is out of the question"??? Don't be ridiculous. I can find several typos in your post! I'm confident that's exactly what happened!

Have I ever heard of someone's HIV test results getting mixed up with someone else's? Sure. Technical and clerical errors can occur. Do I think there is a snowball's chance in hell that happened to you? Nope! Not based on what you reported.

There is no doubt you are continuing to suffer from anxiety, depression and completely irrational fears of being HIV infected. For this I strongly recommend you seek the help of a psychiatrist. That you've "withdrawn from friends and basically done nothing for the last 6 months and 15 days" indicates your clinical depression is significant.

Can you put HIV behind you? Well, there is certainly no reason why you shouldn't; however, the answer to "can you?" depends on you, not HIV, because you don't have HIV! No way, no how!

Do you need to retest? The option is always open to you, but personally I see absolutely no medical justification to do so. However, there may well be a psychological/psychiatric reason to do so. Why not get a rapid HIV test. You sit right there and watch the whole procedure. It takes only 20 minutes. Your result will undoubtedly be negative.

Thanks for your willingness to make a donation to those who were not as lucky as you in dodging the HIV bullet.

Finally, how about sending a picture of the hunky counselor? Maybe it will encourage more folks to get tested!

Please answer *risk of fingering?*
odds of vaginal transmission of HIVq