HIV & UTI

Four days ago, I had insertive anal sex without a condom with another male. I am aware that this is a stupid idea, and I regret to say that I was intoxicated. I never plan on doing anything like this again - I have far too much to lose! I am 19 years old and this was my first experience with a man.

I did ask "do you have a condom," and he said "no, without condom." Of course, I was too messed up at the time to know exactly what I was doing. Starting yesterday, I began noticing that I had the constant urge to pee. I know that this is a UTI, since I had one last summer (strange since I was a virgin and this is uncommon in males). My question is: does having a UTI suggest that something got inside my urethra that might also lead to an HIV infection? The man I was with claims to be HIV-; however, I can hardly trust that seeing as he asked someone he had never met before to have unprotected sex with him. I am scared for my life right now, and I am a mental wreck. Any information that you can provide would be a great help.

Best, JS.

Hello JS,

Your first experience with a man and you decide to go commando Rambo on his backdoor just because he said "without condom"??? Dude! Obviously this was a severe lapse in judgment and common sense. Anyone old enough to be having sex should know how to protect themselves from STDs, including HIV.

Regarding UTI, yes, this can be a consequence of unprotected insertive anal sex. There are a wide variety of potential bugs that could cause the UTI, including gonorrhea. UTIs are much easier to acquire than HIV and the fact you may have contracted one does not mean you have HIV or a significantly increased risk of becoming HIV positive. If you had an active UTI and then had unsafe sex, your risk of acquiring HIV would then be increased.

Your next step is to get an STD screen, have your UTI treated and then get a rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. While waiting for your HIV results, I suggest you stock up on latex condoms, water-based lube and common sense so that you never put yourself in this predicament again, OK?

Good luck, J.S. I'm here if you need me.

Lipodystrophy (LIPODYSTROPHY)
About my Penis/Scrotum, Please answer me now.