For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

placenta bleeding and mother-to child HIV transmission

I am 16 weeks pregnancy and I am bleeding, I understand its coming from the placenta which wants to detach from the uterus. I understand mother to child HIV transmission may occur during pregnancy. I have yet to go for HIV test and if positive will go on ARVS. I am worried wont this bleeding from placenta cause the HIV to be transmitted to my unborn baby?

Not necessarily. However, I do suggest you get HIV tested without further delay. If positive, you'll need to be under the care of an HIV specialist as well as an HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician.

Don't delay. Get tested now.

Risk of HIV+ to babies
HIV transmissioin and Rhogam