Prostatitis and HIV

Hi Dr. Thank you for looking at my question. I have had prostatitis for the last 3+ months. I had a risky encounter end of March 2007 and tested positive for gonorrhea and was treated. Weeks after treatment, I started experiencing symptoms and doc diagnosed me with prostatitis (unclear whether it was related to my exposure). I've tested negative for HIV at 7 weeks and 13 weeks using an antibody test. My question is this: Is it possible that the HIV virus can be hiding in my prostate and thus my body has not recognized and developed antibodies to the virus? I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but there are so many uncertainties regarding the causes of prostatitis that this crossed my mind.

1) Can I be 100% sure that my negative HIV test at 13 weeks is conclusive despite my prostatitis?

2) At the time I took my 13 week test, I had been on antibiotics for 7 weeks...will this effect the accuracy of the test?

3) I was tested using a test called HIV 1/o/2 ICMA. Have you heard of this test before?

Thank you.

1. Prostatitis will not affect the accuracy or validity of HIV antibody tests.

2. Antibiotics will not affect the accuracy or validity of HIV antibody tests.

3. I'm assuming this is an anti-HIV antibody assay that detects specific antibodies to HIV-1, HIV-2 and Subtype O and that uses a technique called immunochemiluminometric assay (ICMA). However, you'll have to check with the laboratory who ran your test (or the doctor or clinic who ordered it) if you want further or more specific details.

Finally, you ask is it possible that HIV could be hiding in your prostate and therefore preventing your body from making anti-HIV antibodies. The answer is a resounding no!

HIV TEST RESULTS
Can I have sex all I want?