Prostatitis and HIV
Jul 27, 2007
Hi Dr. Thank you for looking at my question. I have had prostatitis for the last 3+ months. I had a risky encounter end of March 2007 and tested positive for gonorrhea and was treated. Weeks after treatment, I started experiencing symptoms and doc diagnosed me with prostatitis (unclear whether it was related to my exposure). I've tested negative for HIV at 7 weeks and 13 weeks using an antibody test. My question is this: Is it possible that the HIV virus can be hiding in my prostate and thus my body has not recognized and developed antibodies to the virus? I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but there are so many uncertainties regarding the causes of prostatitis that this crossed my mind.
1) Can I be 100% sure that my negative HIV test at 13 weeks is conclusive despite my prostatitis?
2) At the time I took my 13 week test, I had been on antibiotics for 7 weeks...will this effect the accuracy of the test?
3) I was tested using a test called HIV 1/o/2 ICMA. Have you heard of this test before?
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Prostatitis will not affect the accuracy or validity of HIV antibody tests.
2. Antibiotics will not affect the accuracy or validity of HIV antibody tests.
3. I'm assuming this is an anti-HIV antibody assay that detects specific antibodies to HIV-1, HIV-2 and Subtype O and that uses a technique called immunochemiluminometric assay (ICMA). However, you'll have to check with the laboratory who ran your test (or the doctor or clinic who ordered it) if you want further or more specific details.
Finally, you ask is it possible that HIV could be hiding in your prostate and therefore preventing your body from making anti-HIV antibodies. The answer is a resounding no!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can A Cbc Tell If There Is Hiv On A Person Who Has Not Been Tested For Hiv?
- Is Running Chronic Low-grade Fever A Symptom Of Hiv?
- Can Hiv Change Skin Color?
- Do You Run Blood Count Tests On Hiv Positive People?
- Dose Hiv Cause White Spots In The Back Of The Throat?
- If You Get Flu Like Symptoms After Sex Is It Hiv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.