Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sex with my goldfish....worried
Jul 26, 2007

Ok, I admit. The title was a trick to get you to read this and hopefully answer. But don't click "delete" just yet!

I think I know your answer, but seeing it in print is such a relief. I know your advice has been received as relief very often in the past. You're a godsend, believe me.

Anyway, here's my scenario:

Exposure: Receptive oral sex w/ no ejaculation but definitely pre-cum. I'm male and, obviously, so was he.

Risk factors: He's gay. No condom. I asked about STDs and he responded he was clean.

Symptoms: I'm suffering from worriedwellitis. Kinda sore throat, strange taste in mouth, fatigue, sore muscles/neck. No fever though. Glands don't appear to be swollen. Symptoms started 1-4 days after exposure. Oh yeah, and anxiety. (go figure)

I know receptive oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. I also know that no ejaculation further decreases that risk. I will definitely get the Rapid Test at 3-months, but I need something to calm me now. (Besides that bottle of pinot noir begging to be opened)

So.... here we go with the stuff that I'm sure will make you sigh and smash your head down onto the keyboard:

1. ARS in 2 days to 1 week post exposure...is it possible/likely?

2. Transmission from oral w/ no ejaculation - does "violent oral" make transmission more likely? Violent is probably the wrong word, but this was definitely deep-throating.

3. Can I relax just a little and be sure my risk is minimal? Should I just get over it, test at 3 months, and realize my fears are irrational?

Thank you so much.

Sincerely, W. O. Rriedwell.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey W.O.,

No doubt worriedwellitis is reaching epidemic proportions of late, so let's proceed on to the questions that you already know the answers to while I sigh and smash my head into the keyboard . . . .

1. The symptoms of HIV ARS generally come on 2-3 weeks after primary infection. You knew that, didn't you? Of course you did.

2. "Violent oral" deep throating that injures or traumatizes the back of the throat or tonsil area could increase HIV risk, if the injured area came into contact with infected spunk. (Your dude didn't pop his cork and I don't really know how "violent" your tallywhacker tonsil hockey really was.)

3. Should you test at three months? Yes, if you're worried (and clearly you are). Should you realize your fears are largely irrational? Yes, absolutely. Should you relax? Absofrickinlutely! But "can" you relax? I have no idea! Can you???

Mr. Rriedwell, I'm quite confident that, if you hold on to that pinot for a few weeks, you could use it to celebrate your definitive negative HIV results with a resounding WOO-HOO!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
bbq (Andrea from Argentina)
Next
syringe with hiv positive blood in payphone slots????? (URBAN LEGENDS)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.