Bob, BOB!....over here mate!

Hey Bob

Please could you answer this! This is my third time of trying. I'm in Thailand at the moment and i believe that i may have exposed myself to HIV.

I had protected sex twice with a Thai girl i met in a bar. Not a prostitute so less worrying i know. However, as i was a little drunk my testicles and part of my penis touched her vagina while wet... but not penentrative. Also i had her vaginal fluids on my hand from fingering her and then believed i touched my penis afterwards, though not immediately. Does HIV survive well on the skin? Also i gave her oral sex twice and although i had no sores on my face she did have very prickly (recently shaved) pubic hair which was poking my face. These are all my potential exposures.

I am very worried! I may be being irrational but i don't know what to think unless i can speak to a medical expert. I have been to a clinic in Thailand but as you can imagine the language barrier is a problem and it's hard to convey actually what happened.

In terms of symptoms.... i've had a sore neck, a white film on my tongue, fatigue and some odd skin rashes. However these can all be explained by other things quite easily in the tropics.

Please can you respond so i can enjoy the rest of my trip and put these fears to rest (or confront them). Do you think it is worth me having a test or do you think my exposure is too minimal? I have no idea of her HIV status... just worried because there is a higher incidence of HIV in Thailand.

I think your organization is truly great! Do you guys have a paypal account that I could pay into?

Thanking you doc!

You HIV transmission worries are unwarranted. Protected sex is indeed protected if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. As for getting vaginal secretions on your testicles or skin of your penis, this is not considered to be an HIV-transmission risk. HIV cannot penetrate intact skin! Unprotected cunnilingus carries a negligible HIV-transmission risk, unless there are extenuating factors. Your "symptoms" are not worrisome for or suggestive of HIV acute retroviral syndrome.

As for testing, if you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. The odds remain astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV while banging cock in Bangkok. Even though I'm quite confident the results will be negative, actually seeing the negative result may be the most effective and efficient way for you to put any residual fears permanently to rest.

Regarding donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, yes, we accept PayPal, credit cards, checks, appreciated securities, money orders, wire transfers, cash and just about anything else. Donation information can be found on the foundation's website at www.concertedeffort.org. Thanks for your willingness to help others in need. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative. (I strongly believe it will indeed be negative.)

In the meantime enjoy your vacation and stop worrying! It's a wonderful part of the world to experience and visit. Safe travels! Bon voyage!

PEP after fingering with fresh and overcut nails
please answer my question I will make a Donation