Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advise rom a person not from a doctor
Jul 25, 2007

Hello Dr. Bob,

I have been infected for 3 years, and yet not on medication. since I knew the news I have received no psychological counseling whatsoever and have managed to get by on my own or so I thought.

I live in a Noridc European country where I don't speak the language and have not found a psycho-therapist who speaks competent English in my area. Be sure that back home where I come from such help is more deadly than helpful. I do however get excellent medical monitoring and care. So why am I mailing you?

In the past three years I managed to get by psychologically on my own. I finished my Bsc degree first on class in physics. I started my masters only to finish first on class again, with honors. I'm currently doing my doctoral degree. My last counts are so crappy 300-350 and honestly Im not afraid of anything BUT I don't know what is suddenly wrong with me man. Im suddenly feeling overwhelmed, I have lost touch with reality. I dont know what people around me are talking about and I dont relate to anyone regarding anything. I just suddenly feel alone, on my own and that Im not worth a thing. I feel like I cant deal with my HIV condition and feel like I cant get on like thatI feel like giving up. Even my family who used to support I do feel completely detached from them. I feel like Im standing outside myself and Im watching life go by. Bob, I can not even do a single piece of work anymore, this is about to ruin my career. I know deep inside how good Im at what I do. But I suddenly lost confidence up to the level that when I do something excellent I try to ruin it because it just cant be

Could the trauma of being HIV infected start so late? From your experience as a fine human not as a doctor what do you think is wrong with me? Im really looking for words of wisdom from your person rather than medical advice. I know I need help, which for regional reason I cant seem to get.

Love, Lost in translation

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Lost in Translation,

Unfortunately I cannot provide a medical diagnosis or even personal words of wisdom related to a specific medical diagnosis/psychological problem over the Internet. The information is just too incomplete.

Certainly from your description you sound depressed. And there could be a variety of causes for that "my last counts are so crappy . . . I'm suddenly feeling overwhelmed . . . lost touch with reality . . . I don't relate to anyone regarding anything. . . . I feel alone and I'm not worth a thing . . . ." etc.

If indeed you are trapped in some Nordic European country where there is a language barrier and no mental health facilities, it's time you made a change perhaps temporary and maybe even permanently to a locale where your needs can be met. Certainly a psychiatric evaluation is warranted before you become nonfunctional. I urge you to get the help you need. And I doubt you can do that over the Internet.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
bbq (Andrea from Argentina)
Next
PEP after fingering with fresh and overcut nails

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.