Advise rom a person not from a doctor

Hello Dr. Bob,

I have been infected for 3 years, and yet not on medication. since I knew the news I have received no psychological counseling whatsoever and have managed to get by on my own or so I thought.

I live in a Noridc European country where I don't speak the language and have not found a psycho-therapist who speaks competent English in my area. Be sure that back home where I come from such help is more deadly than helpful. I do however get excellent medical monitoring and care. So why am I mailing you?

In the past three years I managed to get by psychologically on my own. I finished my Bsc degree first on class in physics. I started my masters only to finish first on class again, with honors. I'm currently doing my doctoral degree. My last counts are so crappy 300-350 and honestly Im not afraid of anything BUT I don't know what is suddenly wrong with me man. Im suddenly feeling overwhelmed, I have lost touch with reality. I dont know what people around me are talking about and I dont relate to anyone regarding anything. I just suddenly feel alone, on my own and that Im not worth a thing. I feel like I cant deal with my HIV condition and feel like I cant get on like thatI feel like giving up. Even my family who used to support I do feel completely detached from them. I feel like Im standing outside myself and Im watching life go by. Bob, I can not even do a single piece of work anymore, this is about to ruin my career. I know deep inside how good Im at what I do. But I suddenly lost confidence up to the level that when I do something excellent I try to ruin it because it just cant be

Could the trauma of being HIV infected start so late? From your experience as a fine human not as a doctor what do you think is wrong with me? Im really looking for words of wisdom from your person rather than medical advice. I know I need help, which for regional reason I cant seem to get.

Love, Lost in translation

Hello Lost in Translation,

Unfortunately I cannot provide a medical diagnosis or even personal words of wisdom related to a specific medical diagnosis/psychological problem over the Internet. The information is just too incomplete.

Certainly from your description you sound depressed. And there could be a variety of causes for that "my last counts are so crappy . . . I'm suddenly feeling overwhelmed . . . lost touch with reality . . . I don't relate to anyone regarding anything. . . . I feel alone and I'm not worth a thing . . . ." etc.

If indeed you are trapped in some Nordic European country where there is a language barrier and no mental health facilities, it's time you made a change perhaps temporary and maybe even permanently to a locale where your needs can be met. Certainly a psychiatric evaluation is warranted before you become nonfunctional. I urge you to get the help you need. And I doubt you can do that over the Internet.

bbq (Andrea from Argentina)
PEP after fingering with fresh and overcut nails