Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV from a Garbage Can
Jul 23, 2007

Doctor about 9 hours ago i was coming out of a walgreens and i had the reciept in my left hand and i was gonna throw it in the trash by the doors but the cans were full all the way around so i just jamed the reciept in there. While i was driving home i started to think that i poked myself with a needle when i did that and i became scared. I am a hypocondriac so i worry over things very easily. I went back to the store and started searching through the can to see if i could find any needls or any bandaids that might have a blood on them. I searched the can pretty good for anything that i thought that i might have came into contact with and i did not find anything. But i did notice that i had a bunch of pin size holes from a push pin on my hands and they were pretty fresh. They werent necessarliy bleeding or anything but i bet if i squeezed them they sould start to bleed a tiny bit. Well as you probably know that can is all dirty and it has stains everywhere and im scared that i could have gotten some blood or something into my pinzised holes on my hands. I searched the can for a long time and i am real terrified and i dont know what to do. Do i need any testing from this or do i need to get on PEP. Please doc can you answer

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You actually went back to Walgreens and searched the trash can "for a long time," looking for needles??? I certainly don't doubt your self-diagnosis of being a hypochondriac and excessive worrier!!

Do you need HIV testing? Nope!

Do you need PEP? Of course not!

Do you need a shrink to help you with your irrational HIV fears and hypochondriasis? Absofrickinlutely!

Dr. Bob

Previous
nasal mucus
Next
I've heeded your advice!! Pls address my concerns!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.