Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Affair-risk factors
Jul 21, 2007

I've been having an affair with a married women for about one month. I am aslo married. I've had 10 unprotected sexual(vaginal)encounters with this women and unprotected oral sex. What are the risk factors of contracting HIV? She is not an iv drug user, her husband is not an iv drug user and as far as I know he doesn't have sex with other men. My brother has been an HIV counselor for the past 13 yrs and he has not come across a male who has contracted HIV through heterosexual contact.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You are shagging Mrs. Jones unprotected and you ask "what are the risk factors of contracting HIV???" Hmmm . . . seems to me you just answered your own question. The HIV risk is unprotected shagging!

Your brother is an HIV counselor who has not come across a male who has contracted HIV through heterosexual sex in the past 13 years???? Hmmm . . . where does he do his counseling, at the gay health center? I can assure you the vast majority of HIV-positive men worldwide have contracted the virus from unprotected heterosexual sex. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex with an HIV-positive partner is 5 per 10,000 exposures.

I would suggest three things:

1. Level with your wife. Decide if you both want that relationship to continue and if so, what the parameters for sex outside the marriage will be.

2. Get an HIV test three months after your last potential exposure.

3. Unprotected sex is irresponsible and dangerous. Use latex condoms and water-based lubricant to protect yourself and your partners.

Dr. Bob

Previous
my dog is making sexual advances towards me
Next
HIV from Ear Wax

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.